Attack of the Clones Minute 17: G-g-g-g-g-g-g
From The Star Wars Minute Wiki
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
December 6th, 2016
Obi-Wan falls fifty stories, until a speeder drops down next to him, and he manages to grab onto the back end of the speeder and haul himself toward the cockpit.
- A downer of a minute.
- First time the word "swordsman" is used.
- Pete does some math on Obi-Wan's fall.
- He falls for 30 full seconds.
- Assuming Earth-like gravity and atmosphere, Obi-Wan would fall 1138 feet after 10 seconds.
- He would reach terminal velocity (120 mph) soon after that, and his total fall would be 1.4 km.
- Is Obi-Wan using the Force in any capacity to slow his descent?
- This could be an extreme sport—Force-diving.
- So many things in this minute have to be explained away using the Force.
- Obi-Wan's hair stays perfectly coiffed. Maybe that's what he was using all his Force power on because of his vanity.
- Jake Lloyd-esque cut dialog.
- The writing is trying hard to demonstrate that Anakin and Obi-Wan were friends through banter that is inappropriate for a high-speed chase.
- Is this what Obi-Wan was thinking back to when he remembers Anakin was a "good friend"?
- Someone should edit it so that Obi-Wan in Star Wars has a flashback to a montage of these sorts of scenes.
- Referenced: SWM-Canon#Laser Swords
- Foreshadowing: Yoda's lightsaber.
- Mentioned: The Naboo Movie
- Yoda as the high point, the standard against which all Jedi are compared (for everything)? It's a small universe.
- Sound design is reminiscent of the podrace.
- Shoutout to the great Ben Burtt.
- Anakin's wit
- He's far too whiny. Maybe someone else could deliver these lines better.
- Up to now, Obi-Wan has been the witty one.
- This should be an exciting space car chase, but it isn't.
- Car chase clichés.
- Referenced: Ric Olié.
- Coruscant facts.
- Asimov's concept of the Ecumenopolis.
- Coruscant ecology.
- Is there a giant furnace below them? Or just traffic?
- Call 8-DAY-GREEDO.
- Plug for Caddyshack Minute.
- 29:28 podcast episode length.
- Indiana Jones Minute just wrapped up their coverage of Raiders the week before last.
- Mentioned: Do I have to buy that?.
- Coruscant is only a tiny bit smaller than the Earth, and assuming the average density of the planet is the same as ours, then it should have 96% Earth's gravity. Of course, Obi-Wan's weight (or more accurately, his mass) would have no impact on the speed at which he falls. That is more down to the force of air resistance.
- Technically, the building that was known as the Sears Tower in Chicago, is now the Willis Tower, though people still commonly refer to it by its previous name.
- Alex: Uh oh. No one told me there would be math.
- Tom: Yellow is more of a "wizard" color anyway.
- Alex: Say it? I can't even pronounce it!
- Alex: Well for decades sound editors have been trying to break the "g-g-g-g barrier"...
- Tom: It was his wife's casserole being thrown against a bear.
- Pete: Can we talk a little bit about Anakin's wit? Alex: <quickly> No. Tom: His what? Alex: Yeah, if you see any, tell me.