Attack of the Clones Minute 2: The Role of the Jedi
From The Star Wars Minute Wiki
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
November 15th, 2016
This separatist movement has made it difficult for the limited number of Jedi Knights to maintain peace and order in the galaxy.
- "The mysterious Count Dooku" first named.
- Amidala: no longer queen.
- ARMY OF THE REPUBLIC
- First time we pan up to see a planet in Star Wars.
- Solar systems? Shouldn't it be star systems? (See below)
- Mentioned: The Sehhhnate.
- More discussion of how systems are named and how they are represented in the Senate.
- Referenced: The guy from Malastare.
- Referenced: Lincoln (2012)
- What is the role of the Jedi in the Republic? They're not an army.
- It's easy to assume that the Jedi are the "good guys", but what was Lucas' actual intention? What's the subtext here?
- Why not just have Amidala still be the queen?
- Plug for starwarsminute.com/cruise
- 26:00 podcast episode length.
- Minute 2 of Episode II on a Tuesday.
- It should in fact be 'planetary systems' rather than 'solar systems'. "The Solar System" explicitly refers to our sun Sol and its system of planets, asteroids, etc.
- The Galactic Senate
- Wookieepedia says there are 1024  in the Senate chamber which can hold 8 passengers each.
- The Senate represented 24,372 systems, according to George Lucas.
- So thousands (increased from "several hundred" in the revised second draft) of systems seceding might have a pretty big impact.
- Wookieepedia mentions hundreds of senators, so who knows who's sitting in the rest of the pods, the math doesn't seem to work out.
- Junior representatives (e.g. Jar Jar) represented minority populations on worlds that already had a senator. They wielded less power than full senators, unless the senator went on a leave of absence and appointed the representative to manage in her stead.
- According to Wookieepedia, there were about 10,000 Jedi scattered across the galaxy prior to Order 66.
- Capitalized words in the opening crawl: DEATH STAR (ANH); GALACTIC EMPIRE (ROTJ); ARMY OF THE REPUBLIC (AOTC); FIRST ORDER, REPUBLIC, RESISTANCE (TFA).
- Alex: Crisis averted. Pete: Movie over.
- Pete: We just lost the hillbilly listener...hillbilly demographic.
- Alex: (doing a great Palpatine) POWER!
- Alex: In the interest of generosity, we'll call it ring theory.