Attack of the Clones Minute 5: President Sheev
From The Star Wars Minute Wiki
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
November 18th, 2016
Chancellor Palpatine sits behind his desk with two red-clad royal guards on either side of the door. Yoda, Plo Koon, Ki-Adi-Mundi, and Mace Windu sit across from him.
- Return of President Sheev. Despite the fact that it has been 10 years, he's the only one who seems to have aged.
- Three new Jedi (three new Jedi)
- Luminara Unduli and her padawan Barriss Offee (featured prominently featured in the Clone Wars cartoon).
- Kit Fisto!
- It seems like a lot of official functions are carried out via hologram, so why does Padmé actually have to be physically present for the vote?
- Echoes Vader's line "You should not have come back" to Obi-Wan.
- Mentioned: Space Jimmy Smits.
- First day of shooting (June 26th, 2000), first scene filmed was cut.
- Palpatine announcing the assassination of Senator Amidala to the Senate.
- Lucas' technique of coming up with a rough script and improvising, and then doing extensive edits and re-shoots.
- Anthology films should try to attract new audiences by straying from the formula and the feel of previous movies rather than targeting the same shrinking audience year after year.
- Sheev's really long con.
- Mentioned: Ainlee Teem from Malastare.
- Mentioned: Laser swords
- Kit Fisto facts.
- Played by Zac Jensen and Daniel Zizmor in AOTC.
- Part of the reason the Jensen was given the role was that he had dreadlocks.
- He had to shave his dreads to fit in the costume.
- Once he had the prosthetic on, he felt more normal.
- Voiced by Phil LaMarr in the Clone Wars cartoon, modeled on the 7up guy (Geoffrey Holder), with a little bleed over from Hermes, his character on Futurama.
- Originally designed to be the white-skinned alien Sith Lord villain of the movie.
- Artist Dermot Power wasn't satisfied with the design, and so made him female, bald, and with a curved lightsaber.
- Christopher Lee agreed to be in the movie, so this character design was recycled as Asajj Ventress in the Clone Wars cartoon.
- Power then remodeled the original design with green skin to create Kit Fisto.
- Why do the Jedi want Sheev to delay the vote?
- Do the Jedi also want to prevent the creation of the ARMY OF THE REPUBLIC?
- Were they waiting for Padmé to get there?
- Sheev is secretly in favor of the Military Creation Act, but does he publicly support it?
- Has the Republic stood for a thousand years or a thousand generations? (Long time)
- Maybe this is the highest number Lucas can think of.
- Pete reads from the draft that contains Sheev's announcement of Padmé's apparent assassination.
- Plug for starwarsminute.com/amazon
- 41:14 podcast episode length. The runtime of this episode is a palindrome.
- Since neither of our hosts has seen the AOTC in a while, Alex takes one for the team and sits through the movie.
- Shoutout to El Adam.
- Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR) is set begining in 3,956 BBY. The Old Republic is separate from (and the immediate predecessor to) the Galactic Republic and existed between 25,053 BBY and 1032 BBY. The Galactic Republic (sometimes confusingly referred to as "the Old Republic" as well) was then established and lasted until 19 BBY when Palpatine became Emperor. This helps solve the disconnect between "a thousand generations" and "a thousand years" if Obi-Wan is talking about the old-Old Republic, while Sheev is referring to the new-Old Republic.
- Pete: "Totes remote votes".
- Pete: There's something different about Panaka, I can't put my finger on it.