Bonus: Dan Whitley Interview
From The Star Wars Minute Wiki
November 17th, 2014
The hosts chat with the leader of the Rebel Force Band about life, Star Wars, and “Living In These Star Wars”.
- Interview intro:
- Interview with the honorary third Star Wars Minute host - Dan Whitley.
- Hosts researched "The Rebel Force Band" and then contacted Dan.
- Album can be found and purchased via starwarsminute.com/theme.
- How Dan got into the business and his early experiences.
- Had contact with Capitol Records and a few independent album labels in Los Angeles.
- Was influenced by a number of different mentors and musicians in the music business in the 70s.
- First saw Star Wars at a San Fernando Valley (Los Angeles) drive-in.
- (Dan says that "The Rebel Force Band" is flattered that the podcast is using their music.)
- Dan was introduced to Star Wars by a friend who had started writing "Living in These Star Wars", the song that inspired the album.
- How the project developed and his son's major influence on it.
- Sound effects on the album were not sourced from the movie directly - they were created in a variety of different ways.
- Dan created a list of song titles for the album and then shared them with a range of other musicians to develop the tracks.
- Project was largely done for fun, as a joke and expense write-off.
- Sequel albums were considered but not done due to lack of funding.
- Brilliance of George Lucas as a movie-maker.
- There has only ever been one live performance of the album by the band.
- Singles off the album were handed out at the premiere of the movie.
- Original album cover art was changed following contact from the 20th Century Fox legal department (which ultimately did not go anywhere).
- Potential for follow-up albums.
- Album walks the line between making fun and having fun.
- It turned out that Dan and his friends did live in these Star Wars in Los Angeles in the 70s.
- 45:25 podcast episode length.
- Podcast intro:
- Another Bonus podcast episode.
- The hosts will be back for real in January to discuss Return of the Jedi.
- Promotion of:
- The Alphabeatical podcast.