Empire Minute 113: Cosmic Operator
From The Star Wars Minute Wiki
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
June 18th, 2014
Luke tries to pull himself up on the weather vane but slips back down. He hooks one of his legs around the fragile instruments. All the while, a powerful current of air rushes out at him from the exhaust pipe.
- Starts with a Luke hanging from the bottom of Cloud City, and ends with Leia insisting they go back to rescue Luke.
- First time a Jedi calls to another human using the Force.
- Mark Hamill's post car-accident face contributes to Luke looking beat up on this scene.
- Weathering on the underside of Cloud City.
- Once the hatch closes, Luke immediately calls out for Ben. What's he going to be able to do to help?
- Then he reaches to for Leia. Is Ben relaying the message to her? Sort of a cosmic operator, if you will.
- If Leia hadn't answered, how far down his list of friends would he have gone?
- Would she be offended that she wasn't his first choice?
- Ben forewarned Luke that he wouldn't be able to help him this time. What is he doing right now that's so important?
- What must Lando be thinking about all this? He probably doesn't even know about Jedi.
- Is Leia's connection to Luke (or her Force-sensitivity) making it possible for her to hear Luke's cry for help?
- She develops telepathy just when she needs it.
- So many things have gone wrong for Luke. When he comes back in Return of the Jedi, he's definitely darker.
- How awkward must it have been on the Falcon after Lando betrayed then.
- These last few minutes would be funny overlaid with ragtime piano.
John's Star Wars memories. He was around 8 when Empire came out. He remembers arguing with his friends that maybe Vader was actually Luke's brother and not his father. Toy memories. He had a good selection of the toys, with a little dividing line between his Star Wars, Star Trek, and James Bond toys. He would have loved to have the twin-pod cloud car, but never did. He did have the pilot though.
- 20:39 podcast episode length.
- In a way, Mission Log was a sort of inspiration for STAR WARS MINUTE.
- This scene would inspire Alex to make a t-shirt designed after The Clash's "London Calling".
- John: (As Luke, through the Force) Lobot. Lobot. I know you did this.
- Pete:...wait, I just developed telepathy - we have to turn around.