Empire Minute 19: Space Turkey
From The Star Wars Minute Wiki
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
February 6th, 2014
Rieekan looks up grimly from a console screen. He calls over to Leia and Han.
- PA line "Headquarters personnel report to the command center".
- Probe droid "dialog"
- Threepio is fluent in six million forms of communication.
- It kind of seems like Rieekan calls Han "Princess".
- Was this a Freudian slip?
- In the original draft, it was General Dodonna and Commander Willard who are commanders of Echo Base, instead of General Rieekan. Maybe they couldn't get the actors back?
- Mentioned: Leigh Brackett
- Is this the entire Rebellion right here?
- If yes, then where is everybody else (e.g. Mon Mothma, Ackbar, etc.)?
- If no, and there are other Rebel cells, then it lowers the stakes for the upcoming battle.
- Zev sure seemed proud that he found Han and Luke. Maybe there was some sort of prize for the pilot that brought them back (see: the name of this episode).
- The flat rejection of Han's guess about the signal coming from one of their speeders is amusing.
- Obviously it isn't a speeder.
- But if you don't know what it is, Han, then how do you "know" it's not friendly?
- What if the Empire was also offering a prize to whichever probe droid found the Rebels? The probe droid would have been so happy right before it blew up.
- Mentioned: people hate toy talk.
- Asterios shares his memories of having the snowspeeder toy.
- Callback to discussion from minute 17: if the snowspeeder only holds two, how did all three of them get back?
- Asterios shares his ESB memories.
- He remembers being fooled by Yoda.
- The "I am your father" reveal was spoiled by The Simpsons.
- Mentioned: Raise your right hand
- Referenced: "The Tracey Ullman Show", Memento (2000)
- 19:50 podcast episode length.
- Cold open: 8-DAY-GREEDO call from Matt in Atlanta about the sounds made by Tauntauns and probe droids.
- Yesterday's minute was the one that had all the principal characters in the same shot.
- Eddie Byrne was the actor who played Commander Willard.
- Flash forward to ROTJ: C-3PO later says he is fluent in over six million forms of communication.
- John Kerry ran for president of the United States in 2004.
- Alex pledges to stop saying spoilers, but will continue to do so in many minutes to come.
- Good job, Asterios. We did walk out of Episode VII and Han Solo died.
- Pete revealed on Star Wars Minute Weekend Edition that the big reveal was spoiled for him, coincidentally by a friend of Asterios'.
- Alex:...we analyze, scrutinize, and celebrate the Star Wars movies one agonizing minute at a time.
- Pete: (ironically) Now, why would somebody spend that much time on a Star Wars-related project? Asterios: Real waste of time, right boys? You'd have to be a real nerd.
- Pete: Everybody, just remember that from yesterday.
- Pete: If you haven't seen Empire Strikes Back, stop listening now.
- Asterios: [Han Solo is] just like a little kid, he just wants to have an opinion. <heavy sarcasm> I wonder what that would feel like.
- Asterios: You can't escape the incest in this series!