Empire Minute 42: RoboCamels
From The Star Wars Minute Wiki
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
March 11th, 2014
Suddenly, there is a cracking sound as if limbs were being broken off trees and then a tremendous jolt as the spacecraft stops. Luke pulls a switch and his canopy pops open.
- Starts with Luke and R2-D2 plummeting through the atmosphere towards a watery end; ends with Luke and R2-D2 cautiously exiting the crashed X-wing onto Dagobah.
- A minute of travelling through fog and tree branches via a windshield's eye view.
- Referenced: Planet of the Apes (similar 'low-rent' crash scene).
- Why do they crash and not just land normally? Because of the fog? Is Yoda crashing the ship so that Luke and R2-D2 are near him?
- Referenced: The Far Side comic strip.
- Luke's only response to crashing is to say "hang on!".
- Luke clearly still needs Jedi training. Pete discusses his theory that up until this point Luke's action has been controlled by Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan as the ghost puppet-master of Star Wars.
- Luke crashes his second spaceship in ten minutes.
- Luke throws his gloves away in disgust - hope he doesn't need them.
- Luke takes a guess that Dagobah has an oxygen based atmosphere.
- Luke can detect life on Dagobah from the planet's outer atmosphere even though the rebels couldn't find Luke on Hoth when he was only 20 minutes away.
- R2-D2 pops himself out of the X-wing. He should have used his rocket jets to do this (R2's rocket jets are shown in the prequels).
- R2-D2 should have stayed in the X-wing given all the mud and water on Dagobah.
- Who owns the X-wing?
- Luke as a privileged rebel - he gets to do whatever he wants regardless of who it inconveniences.
- Two bat-winged creatures fly past; clear composite shot using puppets and showing the greenish shadow around them (due to special effect limitations at the time).
- Saying AT-ATs versus A-T-A-Ts. AT-ATs could have been called RoboCamels. Camels elsewhere in the Star Wars universe.
- Discussion of Leigh Brackett.
- From the draft script - Vader force chokes Luke as Luke is leaving Hoth in Leia's spaceship. Luke passes out and R2-D2 then flys the ship to Dagobah - which is why the spaceship crashes, R2-D2 can't land spaceships.
- Referenced - Saved by the Bell. The Star Wars cast as the Saved by the Bell cast.
- Vader not recognising Luke Skywalker as his son (even though he has the same surname).
- Luke's false bragging and lack of respect.
- 20:24 podcast episode length.
- Cold-open: 8-DAY-GREEDO call - R2-D2's noise after arriving on Dagobah.
- Support the show.
- Elliott: The Jackie Robinson minute; 42.