Empire Minute 44: Failing Upwards
From The Star Wars Minute Wiki
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
March 13th, 2014
The runt-size robot is spit out of the water, makes a graceful arc, and comes crashing down into a patch of soft gray moss.
- Starts with R2-D2 getting swallowed by hump monster or space-Nessie; ends with Luke tending to R2 after he's been spat out.
- Luke doesn't show much care or concern for R2 and immediately turns the discussion back to being about him.
- Luke starts to realize that R2 may have been right about Dagobah.
- R2 makes very forlorn robot noises.
- Luke's lines are changed in the Special Edition. Other Special Edition changes are discussed.
- Referenced: Fast Times at Ridgemont High.
- How much does R2-D2 weigh? Same as a beer keg, but more if he's filled with mud.
- R2-D2 as a handy drink cooler / esky.
- Luke having Dianoga and trash compactor flashbacks.
- R2-D2 turning random things off on The Death Star while trying to shut-down the trash compactors.
- We never see the Star Wars swamp monsters in full. How this would have been handled in the prequels.
- Luke clumsily unholsters his blaster.
- Recycled sound effects from the Holiday Special are used - specifically Chewie's father. Other Holiday Special elements that could have been used in the background.
- Yoda's Jedi school and how it operates.
- Luke should have closed the hatch on his X-wing - because of all the bugs.
- Luke is a great pilot of only one type of vehicle; the Landspeeder. He crashes everything else.
- Luke as the privileged child of the Rebellion.
- Is R2-D2 getting spat out by the swamp creature too jokey and corny? (The hosts say no - it works in this sequence.)
- Jar-Jar Binks is the senator that promotes Palpatine to the role of Emperor.
- A movie about Jar Jar always failing upwards.
- 16:52 podcast episode length.
- Cold-open: Ad-read - audible.com.
- The "Hump Monster" that swallows R2 is a Dragonsnake
- Pete: Space-Nessie. Alex: Spessie!
- Elliott and Dan: <Dueling Woody Allen impersonations.>
- Alex: Many Bothans died to bring us that apple.