Empire Minute 48: Eating the Stick
From The Star Wars Minute Wiki
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
March 19th, 2014
Mysteriously standing right in front of Luke is a strange, bluish creature, not more than two feet tall. The wizened little thing is dressed in rags.
- Starts with Luke eating a stick; ends with some guy that we've just met eating the stick.
- What are they eating? Space carrots; naked Twix.
- Luke says that Dagobah is familar for some reason. This is never explained or revisited - it must be an implanted memory from Obi-Wan.
- Did Obi-Wan ever visit Yoda on Dagobah while they were both alive?
- Referenced: Lost (the TV series) - in the context of not explaining absolutely every detail.
- The hosts experiences with Star Wars EU content and how this content compares to the prequels.
- Luke gets interrupted by some green guy puppet. What was Luke about to say?
- R2-D2 doesn't detect Yoda approaching, or he does and just doesn't say anything to Luke.
- Does R2-D2 know where they are and who Yoda is?
- The droid's memories are constantly being erased.
- If you watch the movies in order then you know that this is Yoda.
- Was Yoda revealed or spoiled before the movie? (See 8-DAY-GREEDO call below - same question.)
- Episode 4 is the only movie that doesn't include Yoda AND the Emperor.
- Could a motion picture get away with physical puppets today?
- Tony is a huge Muppets, Jim Henson and Frank Oz fan. This is why he wanted these minutes in the podcast.
- The quality of the various Yodas across the different movies.
- The lower quality lighting and cinematography in ROTJ versus Star Wars and ESB.
- When CGI Yodas were used and when the puppet Yoda was replaced across the movies.
- Lucas and Oz have both taken credit for Yoda's way of speaking.
- Tony recommends the ESB hardcover book (available via Amazon - search for "The Making of Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back").
- According to the book, Lucas partially wrote Yoda's dialogue the way it is in the movie and then Lawrence Kasdan made it work. Clearly Yoda is a collaborative effort.
- Quotable Yoda lines. In this minute - "Wars not make one great".
- Could Luke have shot Yoda if he fired? The hosts say no - Yoda would have blocked or avoided the shot and Luke would have instantly failed the "Jedi test".
- The role of Yoda was originally offered to Jim Henson. He turned it down and recommended Frank Oz instead.
- The relationship and fondness between Lucas and Henson. Both are amazingly creative people.
- Jim Henson as Yoda - what character voice would he have used? Ernie, Rolf, Dr. Teeth. (The characters that Henson is credited with performing are listed here - Jim Henson Muppet performance credits.)
- David Prowse gets no attention or recognition as Vader; every other physical actor - even the puppeteers - are well known.
- 27:37 podcast episode length.
- Cold-open: 8-DAY-GREEDO call - Was Yoda revealed before ESB came out, or was it top secret?
- Alex: This is Yoda's house; it's his Dojo. Pete: His Yojo!
- Pete: Alex and I were talking about ROTJ the other day - because we talk about Star Wars when we're not talking about Star Wars.