Empire Minute 81: Wall of Sad Lobots
From The Star Wars Minute Wiki
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
May 5th, 2014
Chewie growls a reserved greeting. Lando suddenly notices the princess and smiles.
- A smooth minute.
- Starts with Lobot dismissing the Bespin Guards; ends with Lando saying how great the Falcon is - the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.
- We learn that Lando used to own the Millennium Falcon.
- Lando's chatter in the background of the first scene sounds like ad-libbed small talk.
- Lando seems to literally shift gears when he switches from talking to Han to talking to Leia.
- In the 90s Alex changed his email alert for AOL to Lando's "Hello, what have we here?" line.
- Lando sounds like a cult leader.
- He is the living embodiment of an 80's sax solo.
- Other Billy Dee <Williams> projects. Colt 45 commercials; Nighthawks (1981).
- Is Billy's full name William Dee Williams? (Note - see The Empire Strikes Back 121 for the answer to this question)
- Billy Dee should have worn the Lando costume everywhere.
- Lando has a different, more subdued attitude in ROTJ (e.g. he doesn't try and seduce Nien Nunb, Mon Mothma or any Ewoks).
- How long ago did Lando own the Falcon? More than 3 years ago.
- Scoundrels in the Star Wars universe trading spaceships on a regular basis.
- This "coincidence" (i.e. Bespin / Cloud City being nearby and Lando once owning the Falcon) is an example of a good coincidence in Star Wars. It adds flavor to the movies.
- Lando can be seen as the grown up Han that's got a real job.
- Han and Chewie flying around in a different spaceship - maybe a hatchback.
- Lando calls Han a "loser" when talking to Chewbacca. Chewbacca probably just says "life debt" in response.
- The term "loser" is like the term "girlfriend" in Star Wars - very un-epic.
- The Falcon plays a part in this minute by emitting jets of steam. A great detail. The Falcon as The Love Bug interacting with people.
- C-3PO forces his way in and introduces himself to Lando. Is he expecting a kiss from Lando as well?
- C-3PO has a real arc in this minute - he goes from liking Lando to being totally snubbed by him.
- Everyone seems to hate C-3PO.
- Lobot was the saddest of all action figures.
- He was always available in stores - there was always a wall of sad lobots.
- Every character should have some interesting "bit of business" to make their action figure worthwhile.
- Lobot should have been able to emit sound effects from his headpiece at key moments in the movie.
- 15:45 podcast episode length.
- Cold-open: 8-DAY-GREEDO call - Why do I love Lobot? He's awesome.
- Joseph is a human being.
- Support the Show.
- Alex: I did; I felt like I truly did belong among the emails in the clouds.
- Joseph: This is perhaps over-analytical but it seems like the right place...