Empire Minute 90: I Think I Know A Secret
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
May 16th, 2014
Darth Vader strides through the room as two stormtroopers prepare an elaborate torture mechanism. Han is strapped to a rack which tilts forward onto the torture device. Vader activates the mechanism, creating two bursts of sparks, one of which strikes Han’s face.
- Starts with Chewie putting C-3PO together, and ends with Darth telling Boba where he can stick Captain Solo.
- First tight shot of the Boba Fett costume.
- Referenced: Simon and Garfunkel's "The Sound of Silence" and Cylon and Garfunkel from Futurama.
- Does C-3PO blow apart (and is he designed to do so?), or is he ripped to pieces. If the former, why doesn't he come in easy to reassemble pieces like a Lego set?
- Why didn't Chewing out Threepio's had on first?
- When C-3PO reboots, Jeff always heard "I think I know a secret," which is not in the script (see below).
- Call (way) back to minute 4.
- C-3PO's memory dump.
- It's his internal monologue, so it's surprising we don't hear more complaining about his companions.
- Vader tortures Han to get Luke to come, but he doesn't start until Luke is on his way. Could Luke arrive before Vader began the torture, or would this be a paradox?
- What's the deal with the torture chair? Whose is it, and why do they have it?
- All three of the Original Trilogy films feature torture, and it gets progressively worse as the films go on.
- Apparently the scene was supposed to go on longer.
- Lucas was barely involved with the filming of the Bespin scenes.
- Shoutout to Irvin Kershner and Lawrence Kasdan.
- 19:34 podcast episode length.
- Cold open: ad for http://starwarsminute.com/live - announcing Star Wars Minute "I am your Father's day" live.
- Taken from the script of the scene where Threepio reboots:
Mmmm. Oh, my. Uh, I, uh - Take
this off! I, uh, don't mean to
intrude here. I, don't, no, no,
no... Please don't get up. No!
danger. I must tell the others.
Oh, no! I've been shot!
- Remember that K-3PO was a permanent resident after the battle of Hoth.
- Thanks from Jeff for being on the show.
- Jeff (choking with fake emotion) Some of the best minutes of my life.
- Alex: ...in Jedi, of course, you see somebody get tortured to the point where their arms fly off. Pete: It's not "somebody" it's a droid. Jeff: Droids are sentient, Peter!
- Pete: No, no torture's fine; Return of the Jedi not so much. Alex: Well you could argue they're one and the same.
- Alex: If you're in a world with lightsabers, you're gonna be in a world with amputees.