Empire Minute 95: Chewie Freaks Out
From The Star Wars Minute Wiki
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
May 23rd, 2014
Realizing what is about to happen, Chewie lets out a wild howl and attacks the stormtroopers surrounding Han.
- Starts in the carbon freezing chamber with Vader walking down the stairs getting ready to commence operations; ends with Leia saying "I love...".
- This is one of Alex's favorite minutes in the whole movie and all of the star wars movie.
- What does Leia love?
- Boba Fett's rocket launcher.
- Chewie's fighting skills.
- The hosts determine that the six Star Wars movies <as at the time of the podcast episode> should be called a sexology <relevant to SWM:WE listeners>.
- What's the deal with the arm bands on Han Solo? Are they effectively arm-cuffs and does he also have hand-cuffs - or han-cuffs?
- These keep him in proper position for the freezing process.
- Is he wearing these when he is released from the carbonite? (editor's note: no, he's definitely not wearing them!). Perhaps they dissolve when exposed to carbonite.
- Boba Fett repeats his query regarding what happens if Han doesn't survive.
- Vader is respectful and will compensate him if anything goes wrong.
- Klee says that Boba Fett wouldn't actually care - he is ice-cold. Boba Fett is a better character in the books than the movie.
- The empire must have a slush fund for paying off bounty hunters. Is this spending overseen by an independent government body?
- Han, Chewie and Leia are marched in without knowing what is going on - what did they think was happening?
- Do the stormtroopers - if they are still clones at this point - know who Boba Fett is and how important he is to them?
- According to the books some do and some don't.
- There should have been an additional scene in the movie between a stormtrooper and Boba Fett - similar to the scene between Luke and Darth Vader - in which the stormtrooper's true clone origins are revealed by Boba Fett.
- There is a nice camera shot of Han and Leia in the foreground and Vader and Boba Fett in the background - shout out to Irvin Kershner.
- Vader makes a funny physical arm/hand gesture when he tells them to put Han into the chamber.
- Chewie freaks out as Han is about to be put into the chamber - just like a dog would.
- Han does a Cesar Millan on Chewie.
- There is an abandoned subplot for the movie in which Chewie was going to be resentful of Han's and Leia's relationship.
- This would have made this scene even more powerful.
- It's like Han is giving his life debt to Leia and this conveys to Leia that Han really cares about her.
- This must really steam Chewie. He is about to be rid of his life debt but it is then transferred to Leia.
- However Chewie abides by this and totally helps Leia.
- Leia is very affected by this sequence. She is almost hiding behind Chewie and doesn't know what to do.
- There is a wilhelm scream by one of the stormtroopers as he is thrown by Chewie off the stage into the "orchestra pit:.
- C-3PO is not ready to die - but he was basically was dead a few minutes ago.
- How much more damage can C-3PO take before he is dead dead?
- C-3PO doesn't have that sort of damage memory.
- Boba Fett is about to shoot Chewie but Vader stops him - why?
- Vader doesn't want things to get out of hand and messy before Luke arrives.
- Vader doesn't want C-3PO destroyed because he is sentimental for the droid that he built.
- He might need Chewbacca for later tests of the freezing process.
- Wookiees are delicious and they might want to eat him later.
- Harrison Ford wanted Han Solo to die in the carbon freezing process.
- The hosts agree that Han should die in a heroic movie way - like in a hail of gunfire.
- Pete says that it would be funny if Han did die in episode 7 by falling off a balcony or slipping in the shower.
- If Han did die in the freezing process that would have changed the start of Return of the Jedi A LOT!
- The hosts agree that this is a great minute.
- Thanks to and from Klee for the week.
- 19:48 podcast episode length.
- Cold-open: 8-DAY-GREEDO call. Chewie freaks out and Han calms him down by saying that Chewie has to take care of the princess. As a kid the caller didn't realize that it was Han speaking - due to the filming angle that was used - and thought it was an Imperial Guard that was following standard Imperial regulations regarding appointing someone to take care of official representatives.
- Pete: <As one stormtrooper speaking to another while looking at Boba Fett> Hey, that guy looks like your Dad.