Jedi Minute 39: In Love with the Landing Gear
From The Star Wars Minute Wiki
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
February 26th, 2015
Once again, Artoo finds himself waiting around in the damp environs of the swamp planet, and he’s none too happy about it.
- Starts with the Emperor telling Darth Vader that he's done well.
- Ends with Yoda's toasty fire.
- Politics in the Star Wars universe / the Empire.
- The Emperor and Darth Vader talk about their plans out in the open. They are very transparent.
- The Emperor cackles at his own pun. Instead of "as I have foreseen it" he says "as I have FORCEseen it".
- Contempt drips from the Emperor's voice as he says "Skywalker". Is this him needling Darth Vader / Anakin?
- The various agendas of the Emperor, Darth Vader and Luke in this movie. This is complicated by the fact that there are always only two Sith at any given moment.
- The Emperor talks like a Shakespearean actor in a mask.
- There are a lot of British actors delivering corny dialogue in the Star Wars movies.
- They do not refer to "Palpatine" in this movie.
- What Vader is thinking when he looks at the Emperor after the Emperor says that he knows Vader wants to look for Luke.
- Everyone in the line-up gossiping about what they heard as the Emperor and Darth Vader walked by.
- Why there were droids at the Emperor's arrival. Do droids have desires?
- Signs of sentience in droids.
- Who makes the cut to attend the Emperor's arrival.
- Referenced: Joe the Plumber, Elvis meeting Nixon.
- Most of the Death Star hangar is a matte painting. Most impressive. The real and painted stormtroopers don't exactly match but they're very close.
- Did Luke crash again this time and remove the X-wing himself, or did he land normally? If he landed normally, was it in fact Yoda that made him crash last time as theorized on this very podcast?
- Mentioned: Homer Simpson.
- Maybe Yoda built a landing platform / clearing for Luke.
- The hosts like the idea of Luke lifting the X-wing to show Yoda that he can "Jedi" so hard now.
- In the Star Wars universe inspirational music plays whenever a Jedi uses the Force.
- Diegetic vs. non-diegetic music.
- Why does R2 even bother getting out of the X-wing? There is a cut scene in which R2 is keeping creatures away from the X-wing.
- Or R2 is in love with the landing gear?
- Earth creatures on Dagobah.
- Mentioned: Guardians of Ga'Hoole (as a Star Wars spin-off).
- Disney re-issuing its old movies with new Star Wars references. The concept of combination sequels.
- What does Darth Vader do when he's not looking for Luke? Parcheesi, Star Wars Angry Birds, Tinder.
- Darth Vader's Tinder profile pictures - with the mask on, in a group, and as Anakin.
- How Darth Vader finds female companionship and his capabilities as a special friend.
- Everything in his gift baskets is also encased in metal.
- Recreation in the Star Wars universe.
- Referenced: Scooby Doo.
- Jenny should call the hotline if she remembers anything else she wanted to say.
- Support the Show.
- 21:52 podcast episode length.
- Cold-open: Ad-read - starwarsminute.com/amazon; Amazon.
- At the time this podcast aired, John Boehner was the Republican speaker of the US House of Representatives. He has since resigned from the House and was replaced by Paul Ryan.
- A hilarious mashup of ROTJ and The Princess Bride.
- The Turing test, when applied to artificial intelligence, is a test for sentience in a machine. Essentially, a human must guess, based on text-only conversation between two intelligences which is human and which is not. If the computer/machine intelligence is able to trick people 30% of the time into believing it is human, it passes.
- Samuel Joseph Wurzelbacher is a conservative political activist who was given the name "Joe the Plumber" by the McCain–Palin campaign during the US 2008 presidential election.
- Alex: (As Darth Vader, humoring the Emperor) Wow, I don't know how you knew that; it's all I talk about and somehow you were able to figure it out.
- Pete: At this point he's very into being Darth Vader.
- Alex: We'll save the Yoda yada.