Jedi Minute 43: Especially Wonky
From The Star Wars Minute Wiki
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
March 4th, 2015
A new look of concern crosses Yoda’s face. He closes his eyes.
- Starts with Yoda saying that it's not unfortunate that Luke knows that Vader is his father, but that it is unfortunate that Luke rushed to face Vader before Luke was ready.
- Ends with Yoda telling Luke not to underestimate...something.
- A lot of Yoda going over the basics and turning things back around on Luke.
- What more was Yoda going to teach Luke—more flips?
- Is Luke a Jedi and, if not, exactly what does he need to do to become one? Complete his training, confront Vader - anything else?
- Yoda is on his deathbed so he doesn't really know what he is saying, nor does he care.
- The Yoda puppet looks especially wonky in this minute.
- Would Disney have killed off Yoda if they owned the franchise at this time? How Disney will handle the existing characters. (Note: this is interesting given recent character and actor deaths).
- Referenced: Planet of the Apes.
- Force ghosts give the movie-makers a lot of scope to keep using old characters.
- Yoda is straining to tell Luke the basics of the Force—hasn't he told him all of this already?
- Yoda leaves telling Luke about his sister very late in the piece.
- Referenced: A Christmas Story.
- Luke does seem to be dumbfounded by almost everything that Yoda says. The old Luke returns.
- Luke regretting some of the "Dark Side" things that he's already done (e.g. Force choking pig-men).
- If Yoda had not told Luke that Leia was his sister, Luke would definitely have tried to make out with her. Although Ben and Yoda probably would have told him as Force ghosts.
- Did the audience ever really think that Luke was going to turn to the Dark Side?
- What does turning to the Dark Side actually entail? Maybe it's just a judgement call and they have to constantly remind each other not to turn to the Dark Side.
- How much of the Emperor's success is due to the Dark Side as opposed to good tactics.
- How Luke will train future Jedi by using the Yoda approach. Different Jedi training methods.
- Yoda trained:
- Qui-Gon Jinn - who died in a lightsaber battle.
- Count Dooku - who turned evil.
- Qui-Gon Jinn trained Obi-Wan Kenobi using Yoda's method. Obi-Wan - a good Jedi but a terrible Jedi trainer.
- Obi-Wan trained Anakin - who turned into Darth Vader.
- Yoda is not a good Jedi trainer. Where has his excellent reputation come from?
- Luke will probably not be a good Jedi trainer either. (Note: This is extremely relevant as the trailer for Episode VIII The Last Jedi has just been released in April 2017 - and this shows Luke training Rey in the ways of the Force).
- Luke may use his power to whitewash Obi-Wan's failings.
- Two more days of Yoda dying coming up. This is a long and important scene. Other ways the sequence could have been handled.
- Support the Show.
- 20:06 podcast episode length.
- Alex has brought up Rumspringa before, coincidentally on another episode that Tony guested on.
- Alex: How about we kill him off?
- Tony: (As Luke looking at Yoda) What is this thing telling me?
- Pete: Skywalker Mall. Alex: Yeah, the Darth Mall.
- Pete: Fork-choosing those pigs.