Jedi Minute 49: Throw Another Bothan on the Fire
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
March 12th, 2015
Mon Mothma turns to a holographic model of the Death Star, the Endor moon and the protecting deflector shield in the center of the room.
Starts with Han telling Lando not to look at him.
Ends with the introduction of the fish-man known as Admiral Ackbar.
- It should always be Han and Chewie in charge of the Falcon; not Lando.
- Han finally getting back to his room on the Falcon and seeing all his vests hanging in the closet.
- We get a good look at Prune Face - aka Orrimaarko.
- The designer of the character called him Prune Face based on name calling that he overheard as a kid.
- There are two other Prunes Face - Major Panno and "unidentified".
- Prune Face society is very class-based as follows:
- High-class: Rank and name.
- Mid-class: Name only.
- Low-class: Nothing; "unidentified". When addressing a group of low class Prune Faces you have to say "Hey, unidentified Prune Faces".
- How Star Wars characters are named and what they are commonly known as - e.g. Orrinmaarko versus Prune Face.
- Like Princess Leia first generation.
- On-screen for 26.5 seconds.
- The character's dialog was re-recorded and dubbed due to pigeons being in the rafters on set during filming.
- Played by actor Caroline Blakiston.
- Blakiston wrote to Lucas suggesting that she been in the Prequels - as Mon Mothma's grandmother, but Lucas never replied.
- Mon Mothma's lines were completely re-written and Blakiston only found out about this on the day she arrived on-set.
- Bothans and what they look like.
- Why are the Bothans special? Are they an endangered species? Many beings have died in the course of the Rebellion. Maybe the bodies of dead Bothans power the 3-D display.
- Mentioning the Bothans is an example of more Star Wars world building.
The mom of one of Pete's friends worked at a large corporation and gave a presentation to the executives one day. At the end of the presentation she said "Many Bothans died to bring us this information; thank-you". The quote / reference went completely over their heads.
- The Rebellion have updated their tactical display software - it's now 3-D.
- General Dodonna's back-story and resume.
- This scene feels like Battlestar Galactica.
- Blakiston took the role of Mon Mothma very seriously and it shows on screen.
- Scenes with Mon Mothma and Space Jimmy Smits were deleted from the Prequels.
- What is the critical error that The Emperor made? Going on to Death Star II? Hiring Jerjerrod? Revealing Death Star II before it was operationally ready?
- The Death Star looks very tiny on the 3-D display.
- The lights blink and a tone sounds when the briefing is about to start. It looks like 2-1B is blinking as well so maybe he is in charge of the lighting and sound systems.
- FX-7 is at the briefing - how did it get off Hoth? Maybe it's FX-8 instead.
- Is that Nien Nunb or someone else? Ten Numb.
- Nien Nunb talking like Lando.
- The Ten Numb action figure and when it was released. Also, Ten Numb's appearance in the Star Wars Chronicle book.
- How "Nien Nunb" is actually pronounced.
Chris's memories of seeing the movie. He saw it in the holiday before starting 5th grade. His mother took him. When they arrived there were two programs available for purchase - Return of the Jedi and Raiders of the Lost Ark. Chris sat in the movie theater reading the program and wondered what all these things that he was about to see for the first time were. The program listed all of the characters and their names. His Italian mother saw the name Mon Calamari and laughed. She had to explain it to him. The movie started and he saw all these fantastic things. Then, when the movie finished, he realised that Star Wars was done and became a blubbering mess. He had to explain his feelings to his mom. Chris also remembers the second wave of action figures from the movie and the G.I. Joe toys being a Star Wars killer.
- Chris loves Return of the Jedi.
- Support the Show.
- 26:28 podcast episode length.
- Cold-open: Ad-read - Amazon; starwarsminute.com/amazon.
- The name of Orrimaarko's race is Dressellian.
- According to Wookieepedia, the Sullustan standing next to Wedge is Ten Numb.
- Chris: <More great cool Lando impersonations.>
- Pete: 'Bathrobe Kid?' No, he's Luke he's the hero.
- Chris: Mom Mon Mothma.
- Pete: That should totally be our stage show "The Monmothmaologues".
- Alex: We had to kill thirty Bald Eagles... Pete: To bring you this information.
- Alex: Please throw another Bothan on the fire.