Jedi Minute 78: Say Threepio
From The Star Wars Minute Wiki
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
April 22nd, 2015
Luke has wandered away from the Chief’s hut and stands staring up at the Death Star. Leia finds him like that.
- Starts with the "welcome to the tribe" party, and ends with Luke talking about Leia's mom.
- First scene of Luke and Leia talking to each other since minute 92 of Star Wars.
- Matt has a lot of podcasts.
- Harrison Ford's Groucho Marx/Vaudeville-esque line delivery. This scene is just set up for comedy, and doesn't propel the plot.
- Pete quotes "...and see if you can get our weapons back"
- How long have they been there? How long is a day on Endor?
- Referenced: Airplane!.
- Gravity on Endor. Maybe it's higher than Earth?
- Threepio as the straight man in their comedy duo.
- C-3PO-Han power struggle. Referenced: Belloq from Raiders of the Lost Ark.
- Han having anger issues from being locked up in carbonite, then captured by Ewoks, then tied down in his relationship with Leia.
- This movie as the progenitor of the love triangle.
- Han is more timid now that he's been released from carbonite. Leia has buyer's remorse about choosing Han.
- Pete's blasphemous theories.
- Mark Hamill's strength as an actor. He's taking this movie seriously.
- Leia's memories of her mother. Why does Luke not have these memories?
- Does Leia know she was adopted? Which mother does she think is her "real" mother?
- They changed Leia's surname to Organa, but had Luke keep his father's surname.
- Referenced: Space Jimmy Smits.
- Making a prequel trilogy that actually lines up with the Originals.
- Referenced: Princess Diana conspiracy theories.
- Lucas' constant re-use of names.
- Obi-Wan dresses like a Jedi while in hiding.
- Matt will be back tomorrow for the Star Wars Celebration live show!
- 21:08 podcast episode length.
- Cold open: ad-read: Introducing Star Wars Minute: Weekend Edition!
- Although no Canon source states how long the days are on Endor, at least in our solar system there is an inverse relationship between the diameter of a planet and its rotational period. Although this relationship isn't exactly 1:1, Large planets like Jupiter and Saturn rotate much more quickly than smaller planets like Earth and Mars (Venus is a weird outlier with an absurdly long rotational period that is even longer than the time it takes Venus to revolve around the Sun1). Wookieepedia lists Endor's diameter as 4,900 km, or about the size of Mercury2. We would therefore expect Endor to rotate more slowly than the Earth, and it should therefore have longer days. This conflicts with the now Legendary Geonosis and the Outer Rim Worlds RPG sourcebook, which lists Endor's rotational period at 18 standard hours.
- Along those same lines, if Endor has about the same surface gravity as Mercury, then you would weigh about a third as much as you do on Earth. According to Legends, gravity is about 85% of standard.
- "All-Endor-day" is an example of linguistic tmesis.
- Pete: ...analyze, scrutinize, and Ewok tribes...
- Pete: Like any meat, it helps if you cut it into little chunks.