Jedi Minute 84: The Western Understanding of Good and Evil
From The Star Wars Minute Wiki
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
April 30th, 2015
Vader looks down from Luke to the lightsaber in his own black-gloved hand. He seems to ponder Luke's words.
- Starts with Luke saying "I know, Father" and ends with Darth Vader saying that indeed Luke is powerful as the Emperor has foreseen.
- Referenced: Andorians from Star Trek.
- Luke is gambling that Vader won't kill him.
- How Luke might have reacted poorly when Vader ignited the lightsaber.
- Luke's Jedi voice.
- Pete's theory that the Force doesn't exist.
- Does Vader think of himself as a good guy or a bad guy?
- The story is more compelling if Vader thinks he can't be saved.
- Going to the Dark Side vs. going goth.
- What if: Vader revealed he wasn't Luke's father.
- Mentioned: the Dread Pirate Roberts from the Princess Bride, Fight Club.
- What does Vader know about what Luke has been through?
- Vader could have accidentally killed Luke. Other moments that could have ended the trilogy.
- The deleted scene where Luke finishes his lightsaber. They put this scene in since that one was cut.
- Wait, so is Luke's training complete or isn't it? It's like a college stress dream.
- Star Wars Infinities and Vader's white suit.
- 'Hell' in the the Star Wars universe. Shoutout to future guest of the show Neil Campbell.
- The Prequels lined up with important transitions in Paul's life.
- Paul ranks the movies.
- ROTJ is awkward because it's some of the most mature content combined with kiddy stuff.
- The character of Luke and the acting of Mark Hamill evolve as the movies go on.
- Luke easily accepts that Vader is his father.
- Anakin cuts off Luke's hand, just like his own hand etc. was cut off.
- Mentioned: The Shining.
- How much damage Vader has sustained.
- Referenced: "Dr Who", Krang from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
- Support the Show etc.
- 21:29 podcast episode length.
- 8-DAY-GREEDO call from J. James. In response to Lars' earlier call about Moisture Vaporators, kicking off the heated discussion on the topic.
- As Star Wars fans are probably aware, "vader" is "father" in Dutch.
- The Darth Vader pickup shot in this scene features technician Harold Cole portraying Vader.
- 'Hell' has an entry in the Wookieepedia, but it is an abstract concept rather than a place.
- "Christian Hell" has become something of a running joke on the podcast and in the SWMLS.
- The tiny creature pulling levers inside a metal body from the "Doctor Who" universe that Pete is thinking of is the Kaled mutant inside of the Dalek.
- Paul: (as a newly reformed Vader) I recognize the Western understanding of good and evil.
- Paul: (quoting his pal Neil) "...see you in hell. Christian Hell!"
- Paul: (on ranking the Prequels) Do I like green beans more than peas? I guess so.
- Pete: Your junior high had monsters and hearts ripped out and, ya know, women in bikinis being enslaved...