Last Jedi Minute 2: Camie-O
From The Star Wars Minute Wiki
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
February 2nd, 2021
The crawl concludes and the action begins.
- Starts out with the crawl telling us that Leia is sure that Jedi Master Luke Skywalker will return, and ends with the patented Star Wars camera tilt.
- As is tradition, we open with a starship of some kind.
- List of cameos:
- Justin Theroux.
- Joseph Gordon Levitt: vocal cameo as Slowen Lo.
- Gareth Edwards, Rebel on Crait
- Gary Barlow also a Rebel, lead singer of band Take That.
- The Hamills.
- Princes William and Harry play stormtroopers.
- Tom Hardy played a stormtrooper but his scene was cut.
- It's weird and interesting that this movie takes place immediately after the end of the last one.
- The Resistance has been exposed. How so? Mentioned: Peet Deretalia.
- This crawl is antiparallel to the opening crawl of Star Wars.
- After seeing Force Awakens, Alex assumed this movie would be a straight remix of Empire. And there are some elements in common but it's not exact.
- Reference to a March Madness-style bracket.
- The opening score.
- Call out to Chrysanthe Tan. Subtle differences in the recording of the opening theme but nothing identifiable to a specific movie.
- Pete's memories of WrestleMania 4 (1988) and Macho Man Randy Savage's theme "Pomp and Circumstance".
- Transition from the opening theme to the score of the actual movie, and the transition out to the closing credits.
- The opening shot is underwhelming.
Reference to undermined expectations.
The book is different than the movie
The novel has a prologue. Pete's copy is the 2018 mass market expanded edition. The book came out after the movie. Director Rian Johnson had input on the novelization. It dumps us into Luke's dream/fantasy where he's still farming in Tatooine and he married Camie (from the deleted Tosche station scene). He wonders what would have been if he joined the Alliance and had the adventure he longed for. Sort of a dream within a dream. It's funny and sad and sweet that Camie is his fantasy spouse. Referenced: Jenny.
- Reference to the trope of the marshmallow dream.
- What else would have been different if his dream was real.
- More from the book tomorrow.
- Referenced: The Hardy Boys
- Other actors considered.
- Joaquin Phoenix was considered for DJ.
- Gugu Mbatha-Raw rumored to be second female lead.
- Rian Johnson specifically wanted Rose to be a nerd.
- Not getting cast in TLJ (or anything in the modern era of film really) is a mixed blessing. Kelly Marie Tran was chased off social media, but not off of Star Wars.
- Support the show in all the ways.
- Big plug for the listener's society message board.
- 29:14 podcast episode length.
- Alex and Pete are wearing different clothes than yesterday implying they really did come back tomorrow.
- After the assassination of her husband, former first lady Jackie Kennedy married Greek shipping magnate Aristotle Onassis, and upon taking his name was known as "Jackie O".
- Joaquin Phoenix went by Leaf Phoenix as a child actor. He was born Joaquin and changed it to Leaf then changed it back.
- Pete: Even in the Holiday Special we see some kind of [Jefferson] Starship, but they're not first.
- Pete: You can pretend it's the 90s again, kids.
- Audio only