Last Jedi Minute 6: Dammit
From The Star Wars Minute Wiki
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
February 8th, 2021
Lt. Josh Flanagan joins us at the battle of D’Qar as our first guest commentator and bombardier! BB8 is tasked with fixing Poe’s X-Wing.
- Starts with Poe Dameron zooming in to take out the cannons, and it ends with BB-8 beginning to work his magic.
- Referenced: Ink Banthas, Star Trek III/the Roll Call of Heroes.
- Josh is the first guest of the new season which means he gets to reclaim the Josh Flanagan Memorial Lounge.
- If Pete ever gets a street named after him don't call him by his real name, call it The Retailer. Organic plug for Star Wars Minute: Weekend Edition. Mentioned: Goodfellas Minute.
- Josh has feelings re: Hux – he's a cartoon villain. We get a "Daffy Duck" vibe . He doesn't have a mustache, but he's basically mustache-twirling.
- Hux face. Referenced: "Yes and...".
- Captain Moden Canady.
- Auditioned to be a First Order officer in The Force Awakens. He was in the pool but his number was never called.
- Previous Star Wars credits voice in a Legends Star Wars video game (so it's twice removed from canon) "Star Wars the Old Republic" (not Knights of the Old Republic) as Darth Decimus. Imagining Mark Lewis Jones having a big head for having been in a Star Wars project prior to this and then being surprised that no one recognized him.
- "Game of Thrones" and "The Crown" are the new "Who Were they in Superman".
- "Game of Thrones" is probably going to win that one; there are a lot of characters – if you're a British actor with a beard you're in it – it's the "Law & Order" of British actors.
- He was Shagga, leader of the Stone Crows. Referenced Shaggy from "Scooby-Doo".
- "Tuckerization scramble": May Dove Canady named after the main character in May which was edited by Rian Johnson.
- It's an Easter egg, not a plot hole.
- Not named after Kathleen Kennedy. Conspiracy theory?
- Out of context, this is a really beautiful-looking movie. Star Wars doesn't usually play with light and color; it's normally very flat. The exception is in Empire.
- Another "almost quote": "That 'puny ship' is too small and at too close range" for the turbolasers.
- Turbolasers are clearly not designed for attacking snub fighters. It makes sense they would be unprepared for a small attack on the Death Star, but they should know better by now.
- The coolness of a swarm of TIE fighters versus a single TIE fighter
- "Swarm" is the collective noun for TIE Fighters.
- The complete lack of actual physics in Star Wars movies. Maybe "space fire" behaves differently than real fire.
- Wedge saving Luke's bacon.
- BB-8 is playing the role of Artoo in this movie. The back of Poe's X-wing is cavernous and empty like Oscar the Grouch's trash can (from Sesame Street) or the TARDIS from "Doctor Who".
- Dammit: is that okay? Is it Star Wars?
- Places where they say "damn":
- Alex: May the damn Force be with you
- Pete: I've been waiting for this for a long damn time.
- Josh: always and Dan motion is the future.
- Pete: Luke I'm your damn father.
- Josh: Poe 'Damneron'.
- Damn fool idealistic crusade
- Is that Poe's catchphrase?
- Places where they say "damn":
- Oscar Isaac facts
- Plays a broad range of ethnicities. Mentioned: X-Men: Apocalypse (2016)
|His 4 "known for"s:|
|1. Inside Llewellyn Davis|
|2. Ex machina|
|3. A Most Violent Year|
|4. The Force Awakens|
- Also voiced Interesting Person #1 in Spider-man: Into the Spider-verse and was in Annihilation. He's slated to be in the upcoming Dune movie.
- Apocalypse vs. Moon Knight.
- He's a great actor but that doesn't automatically make the movie great.
- Josh will be back tomorrow
- Watch the show on YouTube.
- 32:13 podcast episode length.
- Josh: (re: AlexRobinson.Fun) That's a real thing huh.
- Josh: ...I can't believe we're still doing this.
- Josh and Pete: dueling John F Kennedy impressions. Pete quotes what was the dreadnought? the "emulsifier"?
- Alex: (as someone from Central Casting) We need three Imperial types and 2 space aliens.
- Alex: I didn't see May, but I guarantee you it ruined my childhood.
- Josh: It's, like, this spatula's no good for eating spaghetti.
- Pete: " Original recipe" Death Star run.
- Josh: You don't have a butt if everything's the same. Alex: Whoa. real Jedi wisdom there.
- Pete: He [R2-D2] can fix things because he's got a butt.
- Pete: Who's more dammed, the fool or the idealistic crusade?
- Audio only