Star Wars Minute 31: OB1
From The Star Wars Minute Wiki
(Redirected from OB1)
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
July 15th, 2013.
Minute 31: We meet Obi Wan (Ben) Kenobi.
- Luke says R2-D2 is the property of Obi-Wan Kenobi.
- Ben has really aged on Tatooine (given that this is less than 20 years since the prequels).
- Gaz claims that Ben is wearing exactly the same clothes that he wore in the last scene of the prequels (burn marks, damage etc match).
- Luke's famous line "I've never seen such devotion in a droid before" and R2-D2's sound reaction - which can be interpreted in a number of ways.
- The Jundland Wastes and what they are.
- Star Wars comics and how they add to information from the movie.
- Gaz's uncle 'adding to' the comics by drawing blood in certain scenes, and how Gaz got carried away with this effect.
- Is Ben Kenobi using the force on Luke's forehead in this scene? Perhaps he's running a midi-chlorian check.
- Ben's clothes. Do they make sense in the context of the movie / saga?
- How does Luke recognise Ben Kenobi instantly when he wakes up? Does he know him?
- Do we refer to Kenobi as 'Ben' or 'Obi-Wan'? Luke calls him Ben throughout the trilogy; Leia refers to him as Obi-Wan in the message recorded by R2-D2; and when Luke arrives to rescue Leia from the Death-Star and says "I'm here with Ben Kenobi" Leia knows who he's referring to.
- R2-D2 hiding behind the rocks (this is enhanced in the Blu-ray version of the movie - i.e. more rocks were added digitally).
- More R2-D2 shuffling in this minute (as opposed to rolling). Alex calls these type of scenes 'cheating droid scenes'.
- Gaz refers to a theory that he heard, before the prequels came out, that Obi-Wan Kenobi was a clone with the designation OB1. Pete says that this has been discussed on the podcast previously.
- As a kid Alex assumed that all Jedi changed their names when they became Jedi. That is, Ben is his real name and Obi-Wan is his Jedi name.
- The general misunderstanding when the movies first came out that Darth was Darth Vader's first name - reinforced by Kenobi referring to him as Darth during the movie.
- Pete talks about the theatre experience in this minute that happened / happens from time to time. When Ben says "Obi-Wan, that's a name I haven't heard in a long time." <Pause> Someone in the theatre shouts out "How long?", and then Ben says "A long time." Everybody in the theatre cracks up every time.
- 13:47 podcast episode length.
- The name of this episode (following the colon), is only 3 letters, making it the shortest episode title (regular season).
- Alex: The scene opens with a mysterious old cloaked man waking up the recently battered Luke Skywalker. Hmm, I could go for some battered Luke Skywalker.
- Pete (to Gaz): If you keep telling us things that are good in the prequels then we might have to kick you off <the podcast>.
- Gaz: Spoilers.
- Gaz: <The name> Kenobi is like <the name> Smith.