Phantom Menace Minute 39: Dummy Sides
From The Star Wars Minute Wiki
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
January 14th, 2016
Anakin leads Padmé into the other room. Artoo follows, beeping all the way.
- Starts with Anakin bringing the gang back to his place.
- Ends with C-3PO asking where everyone is.
- First appearance of Threepio (episode number order).
- The slave quarters.
- Introduction of Shmi Skywalker.
- Played by Swedish actress Pernilla August.
- The quality of slave life on Tatooine.
- It's not all that bad—Paul and his mother lived in similar conditions when he was a child.
- In the old days, filmmakers would just leave sets standing where they were built.
- George Lucas is to Rick McCallum as Jabba is to Salacious Crumb.
- Anakin's room.
- The set dressing.
- Lots of sports equipment (referenced in the call at the top of the show).
- Cloth tubes.
- Qui-Gon introduces himself, then introduces the others quickly and under his breath.
- What "the adults" (and Jar Jar) talk about when the kids go to Anakin's room.
- Padmé/Natalie Portman's disinterest/boredom in this scene.
- 13:10 podcast episode length.
- 8-DAY-GREEDO call from J. James in Colorado. Anakin has Earth sports equipment and a doll/figurine that looks very much like Maz Kanata from The Force Awakens in his room.
- Paul will save his thoughts on C-3PO for tomorrow.
- Reminder: Swokes Swokes is Gragra's race. The things she sold are called "gorgs".
- The slave quarters are actual buildings in Southern Tunisia. They are used by the native Berbers for storing grain, and are called Ghorfas. This word will come up on the podcast again.
- The courtyard scenes at the Lars homestead were filmed at the Sidi Driss Hotel in Matmata, Tunisia. The exteriors were filmed 250 km away at Nefta, Tunisia.
- Pete: There's always a bigger fish to fry.
- Pete: Who's going to come by, Stormtroopers? What are they gonna do, kill you?
- Alex: (as Jar Jar) <re: his mortgage> Jar Jar's home's totally under water. Get it?