Phantom Menace Minute 43: That Whole Moolah Thing
From The Star Wars Minute Wiki
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
January 20th, 2016.
Qui-Gon looks to Shmi. She is upset.
- Starts with Qui-Gon telling us his wish, and ends with him saying that greed can be a powerful ally.
- Jar Jar is surprisingly muted in this scene.
- CGI of the T. rex in Jurassic Park holds up better than Jar Jar 6 years later.
- How do they know that Tatooine is run by junk dealers? They only met one.
- We'd like to see a montage of the gang being turned down at other junk dealers.
- "Junk dealer" is one of the handful of occupations in Star Wars.
- Qui-Gon could (should) have done what Obi-Wan did in Star Wars and hired a transport.
- Qui-Gon makes it clear they are NOT here to free the slaves.
- Anakin's premonition that he comes back to free the slaves is the only one that doesn't come true; it's never brought up again.
- Referenced: "The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt".
- We want to see more from Shmi. Either she should be more spunky (Leia-esque) OR she should overcompensate and be a housewife archetype.
- What is the plural of "Jedi"?
- Coincidence? or Ring theory?
- If Pete were tasked with re-creating an old success, he might copy some of the beats.
- In the early 90s, Lucas had no intention of continuing the saga.
- Maybe he took notes, but then didn't look at them for many years and forgot what they meant. Like when you write down your dream and read it later.
- Qui-Gon has no reaction to Anakin being able to podrace or dominating his mother.
- Mentioned: the Force doesn't exist.
- Replacing "greed" with "Greedo": "Greedo can be a powerful ally."
- Referenced: the Greedo cut scene.
- 22:21 podcast episode length.
- A call in to 8-DAY-GREEDO complaining that the minutes covered this week (41-45) are the worst in the movie.
- The term "moolah" as slang for money has its origins in American English, circa 1905–1910. It should not be confused with the unrelated word "mullah" which is an Islamic cleric.
- Pete ...Dan is broken down and he's weeping. Dan: <fake sobbing> I just want to say "I love Star Wars so much."
- Dan: George Lucas [was] like, "What if I have a brightly lit brain-damaged salamander in every scene that is just waiving back and forth like a flag in a windstorm?"