Phantom Menace Minute 44: The Biggest Problem in the Universe
From The Star Wars Minute Wiki
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
January 21st, 2016
Shmi sighs heavily.
- Starts with Anakin bragging about building a podracer, and ends with Shmi shutting down any alternatives.
- It's weird that Qui-Gon says "greed is a powerful ally". Shmi should have kicked Qui-Gon and co. out at this moment.
- A stranger is trying to convince her child to go drag racing.
- Pernilla August is an accomplished actress, but her acting choices are severely limited in this scene.
- Celebrates a Hutt who attained godhood.
- Basically it's like Hutt Christmas.
- Originally called "Donic Day" in the script.
- If this is a big holiday (like Mardi Gras in New Orleans), where is everybody?
- Known as a recurring character in a couple episodes of "E.R"
- Was in Jingle All The Way.
- Quit acting and now lives in Indianapolis under the name Jake Broadbent.
- Jake Lloyd/Anakin is NOT the problem with this movie.
- Super awkward interview with Jake Lloyd as an adult.
- Was set to direct a music video for singer Mallory Low starring young Boba Fett actor Daniel Logan back in 2012 (coinciding with the 3D re-release of The Phantom Menace), but this seems to have not gone anywhere.
- Another of Alex's pet peeves is when people in Sci-fi say "the biggest problem in the Universe" when they mean "in the world".
- Cut Jar Jar burp here.
- Jar Jar is always distracting in a scene, even when he's not doing anything in particular, because you're always anticipating when he will next go off.
- Padmé passive-aggressively passes the buck to Qui-Gon.
Dan was a theater student when he first heard about the movie. He was down in the basement where the kids hung out (Cool kids? No super lame kids). He had a friend who was four years younger who auditioned for Anakin. As a consolation prize for auditioning, Lucasfilm sent him a five-foot tall decal poster of Jar Jar Binks. Dan saw it on Chicago's South Side. He can't recommend enough seeing it with the rowdy kind of crowd they had in the audience. His Phantom Menace Number is 8. He admits that it is a bad movie, but he still enjoys it like he likes cheesy hammy (Editor's note: sounds delicious!) horror movies. He respects Lucas for giving the Preqel Trilogy a different tone from the Originals.
- 24:21 podcast episode length.
- Our galaxy, the Milky Way, is between 100,000–180,000 light years in diameter. It has somewhere between 200 and 400 billion stars, and perhaps as many as 100 billion planets. The Star Wars galaxy (called simply "The galaxy") was 100,000–120,000 light years in diameter and contained 400 billion stars, about 180 billion of which were orbited by a system of planets. It is one of 6 galaxies that were accessible to travelers at the time of the Galactic Empire.
- Jake Lloyd retired from acting in 2001. He was 12 years old at the time.
- Dan: <startling and impressive Tusken Raider noises> <could also be interpreted as Aqualish> Alex: He doesn't like you.
- Alex: I'm finding that drying paint more interesting than what's going on in minute 44.
- Dan: The biggest problem in the Universe is... hyperbole?
- Alex: Welcome to 8-year-olds.
- Dan: (As Padmé to Qui-Gon) I'm super cool and I'm chill with kids risking their lives all the time, but you're not down with it, right?