Star Wars Minute 96: The Han-Luke Spectrum
From The Star Wars Minute Wiki
(Redirected from Star Wars 96)
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
October 14th, 2013.
The battered pirateship drifts into orbit around the planet Yavin and proceeds to one of its tiny green moons.
- Starts with Han, Luke and Leia in the cockpit of the Millennium Falcon as they fly back to the secret Rebel base and ends with the Falcon coming in for a landing on said Rebel base.
- One of the few moments that Luke and Han have together on screen.
- Han's posture and other nonchalant 'body acting' in this scene is intense. Is it good acting or completely overdone?
- This minute contains Josh's most quoted Star Wars line from Luke: "I care".
- The conversation between Han and Luke is interesting. Han is treating Luke as a peer and with a degree of respect.
- Did Han think about Leia in 'that way' until Luke mentioned his interest in her? Han's interest in Leia throughout the trilogy is driven entirely by Luke's interest.
- Shots of the Millennium Falcon flying through, and past, space are gorgeous. They should be 20 mins long. And they are practical shots. They define what space looks like for a generation.
- The rule of sci-fi is adhered to in this sequence: the spaceship is flying the right side up in relation to the planets.
- Referenced: Star Trek.
- The planet matte paintings are super realistic. And the Millennium Falcon looks cool from every angle.
- The guy using his radar gun to check the speed of the Millennium Falcon as it nears the base on Yavin 4.
- Yavin 4 is the first time we see somewhere 'Earth-like' in the movie - it has trees.
- 17:24 podcast episode length.
- Lucas is not a good director of actors.
- Josh wonders what take of the scene this is. Alex points out that at least its better then the underacted prequels ("Sorry Pete").
- Chemistry between Han / Harrison and Luke / Mark.
- In defense of Luke. Most men are a balance or struggle between Han and Luke; a lot of men are whiny like Luke and are not cool like Han. The 'Han-Luke Spectrum' is created and discussed. This is complicated by the fact that Luke and Han change over time.
- Referenced: The Beatles; The Rolling Stones; American Graffiti.
- This scene is very 'American Graffiti' like. Lucas is clearly able to create these type of scenes. Lucas also got lucky in finding Harrison Ford (note - and vice versa). Harrison Ford doesn't act like this anymore.
- Pete has visited the Yavin 4 location in real life. It is in Tikal, Guatemala. It is a tourist location but there is no little tower to stand in. Pete visited Guatemala to see a member of his wife's family, but was primarily there because, you know, Star Wars. It was an awesome place.
- Real-life locations are becoming a thing of the past; will we be saving the physical computers that made the current movies?
- What do the Guatemalans make of the whole thing?
- Oscar Isaac was born in Guatemala and the fact that Yavin IV was filmed there was a big influence on him .
- Josh: I care.
- Josh: That's what Han is; he's a Republican by this third movie.