Star Wars Minute 10: Dirty Threepio
From The Star Wars Minute Wiki
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
June 14th, 2013.
Minute 10 of Star Wars: C-3PO and R2-D2 land on Tatooine and argue over which way to go.
- (Note - this podcast episode does not start with the usual "this minute starts with / ends with" intro.)
- C-3PO is a complete mess after walking less than 30 to 50 feet from the pod. What happened to him - it must have been a very bumpy landing.
- R2-D2 rolling on sand; how is that possible?
- Astromech droid design and function in the Star Wars universe: Speech abilities, navigational capabilities and mobility.
- Who understands what R2-D2 is saying in the movies.
- How droid communication works in the Star Wars universe.
- R2-D2 sending Luke a text message when they are in the X-Wing later on.
- How does R2-D2 know where to go on Tatooine?
- No-one cares about C-3PO at this point, or maybe ever.
- C-3PO going off on his own seems very out of character.
- C-3PO as R2-D2's imaginary friend and R2-D2 talking to himself in C-3PO's voice.
- Referenced: Harvey; Brad Pitt.
- Personalities of C-3PO, R2-D2 and their relationship. C-3PO is very sassy and less ineffectual and prissy at this point - maybe he mellows with age.
- A lengthy discussion about what C-3PO meant when he said his joints are freezing. Cold freezing, seized-up freezing, computer overheating, software freeze / crash? No humans dress as if its cold on Tatooine.
- "That way is far too rocky." There are definitely different environments on Tatooine.
- How much do the droids weigh? Can humans pick them up? No - too heavy for that.
- 14:31 podcast episode length.
- This minute suits Tony perfectly as it consists entirely of things in the desert, just like his home town.
- A Dirty Threepio is an imaginary drink that Alex invented in college. The (incomplete) list of ingredients are - Goldschläger, olive juice and...
- In the Star Wars Atlas, there is a map of Tatooine showing all the locations and paths that everyone took. R2-D2 is heading directly to Ben's house and gets kind of close before he is captured by the Jawas, and then when he runs away he heads directly back to that path.
- Thanks to Tony for being the guest this week. Tony says these are interesting minutes and declares R2-D2 the hero of Star Wars (see quote below). Alex makes the point that the droids don't do much in ROTJ - apart from R2-D2 a) opening the odd panel / door and b) throwing Luke his lightsaber in the worst conceived plan ever.
- Tony wants to come back for "the scene of Antilles".
- Tony: And my name is Tony Consiglio and I'm here as a filler-in.
- Tony: R2-D2 is really the hero of all of the Star Wars from beginning to end, when you think about it. Alex: Uhh...
- Pete: Is he gone? (referring to Tony) Alex: Yeah, ugh, we can do those over again.