Star Wars Minute 34: Idealistic Crusade
From The Star Wars Minute Wiki
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
July 18th, 2013.
Minute 34: Luke is given his father’s lightsaber.
- C-3PO closes down.
- The first time we see a lightsaber.
- The action basically stops to allow Luke to present or show-off the lightsaber, which everyone agrees is an awesome weapon.
- Ben states that blasters are clumsy and random.
- Ben explains Darth Vader to Luke.
- Gaz thinks Luke's repair to C-3PO's arm looks like pantomime (i.e. not real).
- Why C-3PO closes down.
- Is Anthony Daniels in the suit for the whole time that he is closed down?
- The 'computer' mode that C-3PO goes into when he closes down and how he opens up again.
- The dangerous way that a) Ben gives Luke the lightsaber and b) Luke holds and uses the lightsaber when he turns it on for the first time.
- Swords and knights as toys before Star Wars.
- Different objects that can be used as lightsaber toys (cardboard tubes, fluorescent globes <dangerous and strongly not recommended> etc).
- What the various colours of lightsabers mean and the difference in the colour of Luke's between the movie and various toys.
- Different lightsaber toys, including 'Force Effects'.
- At what age did Anakin want Luke to have the lightsaber? i.e. At what age was Luke 'old enough'?
- Luke not having a Driver's Licence (droids do all the driving).
- Are blasters clumsy and random, or are Stormtroopers?
- Ben's explanation of, and language around, Darth Vader is very obtuse and unclear. Also, it appears to take him a while to get his story straight.
- What idealistic crusade was Luke's father on? He was in a war. Alex tries to rationalise this in terms of having a goal in mind that was a higher calling (i.e. holding the Galactic Republic together).
- What version of history is taught in The Empire? That is, are the Jedi good or bad guys as "guardians of the peace."
- The confusing portrayal of Jedi in the prequels.
- Crew member shadows in this minute. Or was it someone else in the actual movie? (e.g. a Tusken Raider, an Imperial spy, the essence of Qui-Gon Jinn.)
- 21:33 podcast episode length.
- The team sound a little punch-drunk in this episode.
- Pete: "I'm worried that by the end of this I'm going to think that, that George Lucas is a genius and this whole thing is one grand network of, of amazing woven storytelling." Alex: "I'm going to assume that has more to do with the genius of a...million nerds on the internet you know..." Gaz: "Justifying every detail."
- Alex: In relation to alternate lightsabers "This is your Father's Whacking Stick."
- Pete: Ladies and Gentleman of the jury, what are ideals?
- Pete: When you pictured this whole back story when you were a kid you didn't picture a lot bureaucracy and negotiation?
- Alex: When I was a kid I kept really hoping...at some point they go into an explanation for the taxation of trade routes in The Galactic Republic.