Star Wars Minute 84: Walking Carpet
From The Star Wars Minute Wiki
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
September 26th, 2013
The group exits the garbage room into a dusty, unused hallway.
- Starts with Obi-Wan shutting down the tractor beam and ends with Obi-Wan shutting down the tractor beam as our other heroes finally make their way out of the trash compactor.
- Leia calls Chewbacca a walking carpet.
- Why is the tractor beam control lever in such a weird spot? Like, you know, with the other controls. And this is the main control (as stated by C-3PO). Also, why couldn't R2-D2 shut it down with his Death Star computer access? Perhaps the intention was to really discourage people from turning it off.
- The sound of the tractor beam powering down; the power bar; and the label that read - in English - Tractor Beam Control (this was later changed to basic in the special editions).
- Basic versus English in the Star Wars universe. Also, everyone in Star Wars seems to be illiterate (i.e. no reading or writing).
- Han doesn't like sneaking around or being quiet even though he's a smuggler. He makes a lot of noise as they leave the trash compactor. (Also, they had just finished yelling and screaming about not being crushed and now Leia's concerned about making noise?)
- Referenced: Yosemite Sam.
- There is an 'Aaron Sorkin walk and talk' (best known for the TV show 'West Wing') down the hallway in this minute. Lucas knows how to move the camera a little.
- Han underlines that he's only interested in the reward at the end of this thing.
- There is good characterization in this minute and the entire movie, and this is something that Lucas is really good at.
- Carpet in the Star Wars universe.
- How are our heroes dressed in their regular clothes again? Did they have them on under their Stormtrooper outfits; were they stashed somewhere and they picked them up; some other way? Why not leave the Stormtrooper outfits on until they get away? They could have been useful.
- Stormtroopers as people has always bothered Doug.
- Chewbacca being afraid of the monster (the Dianoga) is funny - he's just a big dog sometimes. The Dianoga is portrayed very well in the Star Wars comic book.
- 18:58 podcast episode length.
- Ad-read: Audible.com.
- Lucas invented The Force and Jedi which has really caught on; its actually very close to being a viable religion and there are examples of it being recognized as such around the world (e.g. Australia).
- Why did Jabba have the bikini in Leia's size just lying around in ROTJ? An outfit montage scene is imagined by the hosts. How Carrie Fisher got fit for ROTJ.
- Referenced: When Harry Met Sally; The Blues Brothers; Under the Rainbow; Wizard of Oz; Star Trek; The Huntsman; Mirror, Mirror; Deep Roy; Bad Santa. (Note - Doug's here!)
- Little people actors, and the increasing use of CG for small characters, in movies.
- Doug once saw Deep Roy in an elevator at a Comic-con; he Vined it.
- Doug: You'd have to be a mystical man; you'd have to be a Jedi.
- Doug: You're living with the Ewoks when you're thinking of things like that.
- Doug: I'll bring a walking carpet with me.
- Pete: Speaking of balls.
- Doug: So many balls in Star Wars.