Star Wars Minute 87: Levels Five and Six
From The Star Wars Minute Wiki
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
October 1st, 2013.
Luke pushes off and they swing across the treacherous abyss to the corresponding hatchway on the opposite side.
- Starts with Luke and Leia having a shootout with the Stormtroopers and ends with Ben Kenobi is whipping out his lightsaber as he feels that something bad is about to happen.
- Iconic Stormtrooper pose and camera shot.
- There is a Wilhelm scream as a Stormtrooper gets shot and falls off a ledge. There is a Wilhelm scream in every Star Wars movie.
- Princess Leia kisses Luke (for luck!); the first kiss in Star Wars.
- Luke and Leia's clothes are filthy.
- Luke and Leia swing across the chasm.
- The Stormtroopers not shooting Luke and Leia's feet / legs when the door is slightly raised, or at least grabbing their ankles.
- The Stormtroopers on The Death Star are so bad at everything, and appear to not want to kill anyone, that they must all be secret rebel agents. They just want to say that they 'did their job' and leave it at that; they don't want to be heroes.
- When Leia kisses Luke, is this Luke's first kiss?
- Where the grappling hook came from and why Luke had it on him. Part of the standard Stormtrooper gear perhaps.
- Did Ben make the group of Stormtroopers split up and walk away from him? Also, where are levels 5 and 6 on The Death Star? What is the exact layout of The Death Star? (Also discussed in the previous podcast episode.)
- Referenced: Animal House.
- What do Luke and Leia's clothes smell like at this stage? Answer = garbage. And Leia wears these clothes for the rest of the movie as well.
- Luke and Leia are dressed like brother and sister.
- Obi-Wan appears to be divining with his lightsaber and following its lead.
- Does Obi-Wan sense Darth Vader nearby? Is that why he pulls out and lights up his lightsaber?
- People finding their way around, and running into each other on, The Death Star to be discussed in the next podcast episode.
- Why there is a gaping chasm in the middle of a functioning weapon system. Another safety risk. Also, is this chasm linked to, or a part of, the tractor beam chasm that we saw earlier? Pete raises the possibility of The Death Star having a core that is separate from, and spins at a different rate to, the outer ring.
- What is the grappling hook actually attached to? How did Luke get so good with a grappling hook? Did he practice somehow? Maybe its like a lasso for a farm-boy.
- Alex asks - what's the big deal about Luke and Leia's swing? It was a physical stunt performed by the actors and Pete says that it is an exciting stunt; Alex therefore withdraws his question.
- Referenced: Indiana Jones.
- The swing across the chasm made a great page in the Star Wars pop-up book.
- 16:53 podcast episode length.
- Cold-open: 8-DAY-GREEDO caller - Scott from Ohio - Where do Stormtroopers learn how to shoot? Why don't they just shoot Luke and Leia's feet / legs when they get the door slightly raised? What's up with Stormtroopers anyway?
- The classic Stormtrooper figurine and packaging ("people hate toy talk").
- Plug for The Star Wars Minute Facebook page .
- Who are the best Stormtroopers in the movie? The ones that kill the Jawas; the ones that stun Leia on the blockade runner at the beginning of the movie; some other group?
- The Stormtrooper at the beginning of the movie that told his friend to set his gun to stun before shooting Leia must have been a secret rebel agent.
- Why didn't they stun all the other rebels? Any of them could have known where the rebel plans were. Pete makes the point that Leia is perceived to be a passenger on the blockade runner and Vader specifically asked for all passengers be brought to him alive, hence Leia being stunned.
- Pete: To Alex "You are jaded."
- Adam: I was ready for that one.