Star Wars Minute 89: Spaceballs
From The Star Wars Minute Wiki
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
October 3rd, 2013.
Vader and Ben Kenobi continue their powerful duel.
- One scene for this entire minute.
- Obi-Wan calls Vader "Darth".
- Lightsabers seen during the movie - Luke's, Ben's and Vader's. The various colors of these, including the toys (people hate toy talk).
- Good verbal dueling here between Obi-Wan and Vader.
- What Obi-Wan's "...I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine" means. Maybe it's just a verbal / Jedi mind trick to make Vader let him go.
- Awesome Ben Burtt sound effects. Also, this scene has influenced how kids play since the movie was released. Everything becomes a lightsaber to play with.
- Obi-Wan's spin move and why Vader didn't just kill him mid-spin.
- Ben's lightsaber sounds like it's going to fizzle out towards the end of the duel; or is it just flies flying into it (like a bug-zapper)?
- One of Vader's swings (which misses Obi-Wan) hits a wall of The Death Star and starts a small fire. Is The Death Star flammable? Maybe that's why it exploded at the end.
- Reasons why the hood of Obi-Wan's cloak hardly moves during the duel.
- The ranking of lightsaber duels and how they get more boring from the prequels "Sorry Pete" to the original trilogy. However there's a lot more force wielding going on in this duel, and they're also more hesitant as they're out of practice and don't want to 'tip their hand'. Plus neither of them are in peak physical fighting condition. The duel in ESB between Luke and Vader is really good - theatrical and dramatic with great lighting.
- Rick Moranis's lightsaber battle in Spaceballs.
- 19:04 podcast episode length.
- Drinking Game: people hate toy talk.
- Adam points out that in sci-fi movies the bad guy's lasers are one color and the good guy's lasers are another color. He would like to see a scene where a weapon passes from a bad guy to a good guy and the laser changes color as a result. Pete says that in the context of Star Wars the color of the laser could reflect which side of The Force the person is on.
- Building your lightsaber as the final exam for becoming a Jedi. The hosts agree that this is about learning safe handling of your lightsaber, like Cub Scouts and knives. Therefore, the fact that Obi-Wan gave Luke his lightsaber straight away may indicate / confirm that Obi-Wan is not a very good teacher. Also, he didn't give Luke the "Yoda's Dos and Don'ts" book about lightsaber handling.
- Pete and Adam had an epic lightsaber battle back at the Comic Book store with toy illuminated lightsabers.
- Lightsabers don't seem to emit much light. How lightsabers were created for the various movies.
- Items that could be used as lightsabers. Post your items on the Facebook Listener Society or call 8-DAY-GREEDO.
- David Prowse could not see very well out of the Darth Vader outfit during the filming of this scene. A lot of the time he was just hoping that Alec Guinness was standing in the right spot as rehearsed. At one point supposedly he knocked Alec Guinness down by accident.
|Adam discusses his early experiences with Star Wars
- What type of movies are Star Wars and Spaceballs - comedy, tragedy?
- Alex imagines a world in which Star Wars is forgotten and Spaceballs becomes the movie that everyone remembers.
- Referenced: Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress.
- Adam: Can I curse here? Pete: Sure.
- Alex: Excellent lightsaber impersonation.
- Pete: Not as clumsy or as random as a bug-zapper.
- Adam: As Obi-Wan "Come at me Darth."
- Adam: The Force is as The Force does.
- Pete: And suddenly the podcast became Spaceballs Minute.
- Pete and Alex: ...on the Spaceballs Minute!