That's No Moonraker: Doctor No
From The Star Wars Minute Wiki
May 23rd, 2020
Alex and Pete begin their assessment of the James Bond franchise with 1962's Dr. No.
- First time James Bond has been on the big screen.
- First movie, but based on the 6th novel by Ian Fleming.
- An early draft of the screenplay was rejected because they made Doctor No into a monkey (literally).
- Budget under a million dollars for the whole movie.
- Easter egg: Bond sees the Portrait of the Duke of Wellington by Goya, which was missing at the time of filming.
- Nikki van der Zyl dubbed voices for Honey Ryder, Sylvia Trench, and nearly every other woman who has a speaking role in the movie.
- The first person to portray Bond on the big screen (in release order) is not Sean Connery but stuntman Bob Simmons in the Gun barrel sequence.
- He's the Fake Wedge of James Bond.
- It's amazing how this movie really sets up the franchise: so many things that would become tropes of James Bond are present.
- But no real big action set pieces or gadgets.
- It's a bit odd that this movie is named for the villain.
- Everybody thought this movie would be a flop.
- Cost-saving measures.
- The aquarium.
Other actors considered
- The titular Doctor No:
- Noël Coward.
- Max von Sydow.
- Christopher Lee (related to Fleming through marriage).
The book is different than the movie
- Referenced: Alex's other podcast
- Fight with a giant squid.
- Escape from Dr. No's lair on the "dragon".
- James Bond and the tarantula. In the novel it was a centipede
- Guano quarry instead of a bauxite mine, and how Dr. No meets his end.
- Mentioned: the Pan Still Life series covers of the James Bond novels.
- Spectre is mentioned but introduced in an earlier novel.
- James Bond's introduction in a casino as a nod to Casino Royale.
- Mentioned: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.
Code name theory
- Is 'Felix Leiter' also a code name?
- Victor Harrington is a casino patron in like every movie.
Crossover with Star Wars
- Peter Brace - stunt actor in this and many James Bond movies. Also Chewbacca's stunt double in Star Wars.
- The guys are still working out their ranking system. This movie is not as good as Superman II.
- Shoutout to https://Thunderballs.org.
- The 1961–1962 budget of the film is equivalent to about $10 million in 2020.
- The "other podcast" that Pete drops a veiled reference to is ABCD:TOS.
- We'll hear from Nikki van der Zyl again.
- Peter Brace was 6' 4" tall.
- Be on the lookout for "brakefast" in other Connery Bond films.
- The guys still can't say the show closer in sync.
- Alex: Let's call it Doctor "No Thanks".
- Pete: (as Sean Connery) Let's have some "brakefast".
Star Wars names
|Star Wars pun names for Dr. No|