Attack of the Clones Minute 79: Where are the Dogs?
(Redirected from Attack of the Clones 79)Jump to navigation Jump to search
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
March 2nd, 2017
A shaft of moonlight from a hole in the roof pierces the gloom of the hut. By its light, ANAKIN sees SHMI, hanging from a wooden frame in the middle of the hut.
- Starts off with Anakin scoping out the Native Tatooiner encampment, and ends a minute later with Shmi asking Ani if it's him.
- The big emotional climax of the Shmi-Ani storyline.
- Scenes and dialog were cut for time, yet we have the seconds to spare for this shot of space dogs fighting over a bone.
- Hal is introduced to Wookieepedia and he rejects it outright.
More facts about the Native Tatooiners
- Referenced: Don't call them Sand People; call them the Ghorfas.
- Mentioned: Dian Fossey.
- Common ancestry with Jawas, maybe humans?
- They cannot interbreed with humans (based on firsthand knowledge).
- Referenced: Looney Toons "Little Red Riding Hood (1944)".
- Additional facts (provided by Hal)
•They are all foodies, but they're terrible cooks (they eat out a lot). •They have perpetual swimmer's ear (odd for desert-dwellers). This is why they shake.
- Referenced: A New Hope. How this tribe may relate to the Ghorfas in Star Wars.
- What is their goal in kidnapping Shmi? Maybe this was an initiation, like jumping somebody into a gang.
- Mentioned: Apocalypse Now.
- Ghorfas Gossip. It's like TMZ.
- These Ghorfas seem to be wearing turtlenecks.
- Alex lived with a Ghorfas in college. It didn't quite work out.
- Ring Theory: This scene parallels the Magic Tree and the Evil Cave. This is the "Bizarro version" of that.
- Re-shoots affecting the quality of this scene.
- Couldn't Shmi have tried to escape before? Maybe she didn't want to anymore.
- We've got more slow death tomorrow.
- Call 8-DAY-GREEDO.
- 26:12 podcast episode length.
- As of April, 2020, the Wookieepedia entry for pets has 40 entries. Massiffs are considered among them, and some of them even have names.
- At one time, Hello Fresh™ sponsored the show.
- According to Wookieepdia, Ghorfas lived in groups of 20 to 30 individuals and Anakin killed every single Ghorfas in the camp, so it is not possible that other Ghorfas we meet later on belonged to the same clan. However, Pete is correct in that the Ghorfas mythologized the slaughter, identifying Anakin as a vengeful spirit that needed to be appeased. No word on whether the Ghorfas recognized that Luke was the son of Darth Vader (spoilers).
- Ghorfas do offer blood sacrifices to the spirit of Anakin/Vader.
- According to a US national poll in 2018 by Quinnipac University, many Americans believe that then-President Trump has emboldened people who hold racist beliefs to express those beliefs publicly.
- Alex has come around on the Ring Theory.
- Pete: <in Native Tatooiner accent> My dog's gon' kick your dog's <butt>.
- Pete: (on cutting important scenes but leaving this one in) It was a "massiff" editing mistake. How about that?
- Hal: (as somebody's racist mother) Are you going to bring that Ghorfas to Thanksgiving dinner? (as the mother's child) Mom! He has a name, it's *unintelligible Tusken speech*. Alex: They arrive single file... Pete: *doorbell* ugh *doorbell* ugh *doorbell* ugh Jeezum Crow...
- Pete, with Alex joining in: <Singing, to the tune of Kumbaya, My Lord> ♫ Kumumgah, my lord, Kumumgah. Kumumgah my lord...♪
- Pete: (as A'Sharad Hett, explaining that humans and Ghorfas cannot interbreed) <earnestly> Trust me. Take my word for it. Hal: Trial 57: This is not working out.
- Hal: [the Ghorfas] aren't clanking lenses, or whatever when they try and kiss?
- Pete: (Ghorfas kissing noises) *clank clank clank*.
- Hal: ♪ I am the Ghorfas. Goo goo g'joob. ♫
- Pete: *sniffing* This guy [Luke] smells like Hitler! Get him!