Attack of the Clones Minute 95: Aliens in the Empire
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
March 23rd, 2017
Brief silence, then a rolling wave of APPLAUSE. JAR JAR beams and bows. PALPATINE rises.
- Starts with Jar Jar proposing emergency powers to the Supreme Chancellor, and ends with Yoda and Mace looking on from the viewers gallery (either skeptically or bored, it's hard to tell).
- Cut dialog explaining why it had to be Jar Jar and not someone who was too closely aligned to Palpatine.
- Our heart goes out to Jar Jar. He's pleased that he did what he thought was the right thing.
- Reactions from the senators, positive and negative.
- The Squid Heads (Quarren).
- Disagreement about the reaction of the Walrus men: is it yea or nay?
- Aqualish and Quarren both wind up on the Separatist Council.
- The number of eyes that various Walrusmen have. Mentioned: Yarael Poof.
- The terminology of "aliens" vs. "humans".
- Standards of beauty.
- Alex continues to mispronounce "Zam Wessel".
- Referenced: Pete's hair.
- Is the Galactic Senate more like the US senate or like the United Nations?
- Human ethnocentrism.
- It seems like as soon as Jar Jar proposes emergency powers, they go into effect.
- Grand Army of the Republic™.
- CGI vs. Puppet Yoda. He's younger and spunkier in the Prequels.
- The setup of this shot. There's a big 'rift' between Yoda and 'Sam Windu'. Foreshadowing?
- Plugs for Chrysanthe on Spotify and Patreon.
- Call 8-DAY-GREEDO.
- 24:23 podcast episode length.
- There are Wookieepedia entries for both "alien" and "Xenophobia", which is a fear or hatred of aliens.
- Although never said in the dialog of any of the films, the term "alien" is used extensively in the stage directions of many Star Wars scripts.
- One notable alien in the Empire is Grand Admiral Thrawn, a member of the near-human Chiss species.
- For more information about Aqualish eyes, see (Which episode?).
- Wookieepedia does not list an entry for the red mohawk Rodian, but does state that the mohawk is made of hair, and not, like, scales or anything. This is surprising given that Rodians are classified as reptilian.
- There is no Kingdom of Walrus man, but there is a Kingdom of Mann.
- Per Wookieepedia, the Galactic Senate represented 24,372 systems. As Wookieepedia also states that there were 3.2 million habitable systems in the Star Wars galaxy, we can assume most of did not have representation in Congress.
- This might be Legends now, but according to Wookieepedia there were few independent systems by 0 BBY, with Aquilae being one of the last holdouts.
- In the new Canon, slavery is said to be commonplace during the Age of the Empire, but was banned again by the time of the New Republic.
- This might be one of those Mandela Effect things, but the big (and oft-misquoted) line from Revenge of the Sith is "So this is how liberty dies".
- Alex: Who amongst us has not offered unlimited executive power to a...dictator... Pete: —in a pinch.
- Pete: The Millennium Falcon has been called 'ugly' by a lot of people, I think that's a shame [...] I'm sure other ships find it quite attractive.
- Chrysanthe: George Lucas, if you're listening to this, which I know you are: you can still change.
- Pete: I'm doing the 'Walrus man shimmy' over here.
- Chrysanthe: Bye bye, checks and balances!