Bonus: Doug Benson on Episode VII
Jump to navigation Jump to search
October 16th, 2014
Doug Benson is back, and this time we’re talking about what we might expect from Episode VII.
- Doug is neutral about the upcoming movie.
- J.J. Abrams' Star Trek movies were just ok.
- There's no where to go but up from the prequels.
- Abrams will definitely include many callbacks.
- It will not be placed in time immediately after Return of the Jedi.
- The hosts dicuss the potential for CG human actors to be used.
- Referenced: The CG baby in Twilight Breaking Dawn Part II.
- Will there be flashbacks? Its not really a Star Wars thing.
- There are many mind-boggling options for the movie makers.
- Doug almost doesn't care if its a good movie or not - although he's happy that the Star Wars franchise is continuing.
- Doug likes the Star Tours ride at Disneyland.
- This is his episodes 1, 2 and 3.
- In one story you see Jar Jar for such a short time that it ALMOST doesn't make you mad (but it still makes you mad).
- Lucas was hands-off when the ride was created.
- Will Lawrence Kasdan still be a good writer?
- Kasdan is on record as saying that Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom was too dark - so it won't be like that.
- Doug would like to see old Han Solo.
- The hosts are concerned about too much fan service.
- How much will Luke Skywalker be in it?
- They need to set-up the franchise to carry on without the main actors into the future.
- Pete says that, if Han is in the movie, he'll definitely die. This will be stipulated by Harrison Ford in his contract.
- Harrison Ford's current career and upcoming franchise movies.
- Referenced: 42; Ender's Game; Indiana Jones; Blade Runner; Iron Man 3.
- Doug's biggest worry is that the movie makers will keep feeding us with information from now until the movie is released.
- They can just run one ad and everyone will go.
- Seeing the movie spoiler-free will be very difficult.
- Pete went spolier-free for Episode 2. That ultimately didn't work out so well because it was Episode 2.
- The potential for bonus content on mobile devices during the movie (ie while you're watching it). This would be very distracting.
- Interactive mobile content for home movies is definitely an increasing trend.
- Scotty's bad alien side-kick in J. J. Abrams Star Trek. This was like Abrams' audition to direct a bad Star Wars movie.
- Lando / Billy Dee won't be in Episode 7 at this stage. Surely there's a role for him somewhere.
- Leia / Carrie Fisher's role in the movie. Perhaps she captured Salacious Crumb and has just been torturing him for 20 years.
- The appearance of Salacious Crumb and the Ewoks is the tipping point when Star Wars became cutesy.
- What will be the Salacious Crumb / Ewoks / Jar Jar of Episode 7?
- Doug will definitely see Episode 7 but is refusing to get excited about it.
- Referenced: Wolverine.
- 29:04 podcast episode length.
- Cold-open: Intro and promotions for:
- Podcast Alphabeatical - alphabeatical.com.
- SWM t-shirts at starwarsminute.com/merch.
- Amazon - starwarsminute.com/amazon.
- Before seeing TFA, Pete saw the big spoiler, but it looks like he thought that might happen at least as far back as this episode.
- Alex: I really hope that they bring Lobot back.