Empire Minute 108: Snarky Backpack
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
June 11th, 2014
Lando and Leia hold off the troops as the droids get on board with Chewie. As Chewie bounds to the ship the Threepio on his back, Threepio hits his head on the top of the ramp.
- Starts with R2-D2 trying to open the door ends with Lando yelling at Leia to go.
- While trying to open the door R2-D2 beeps at C-3PO and C-3PO then shares exposition about the hyperdrive on the Falcon being fixed. Why does the door know this piece of information? It must be connected to the mainframe and there's a note on the system regarding the Falcon.
- R2-D2 is a hacker that constantly runs denial of service attacks.
- There are no guards around the Falcon. They were there but they got blown off the platform by the wind.
- No safety in the Star Wars universe. Are there more safety features in the Prequels?
- More great music in this scene as the door opens. Maybe the music was playing on the platform already and we can hear it once the door opens.
- C-3PO calls R2-D2 a lunk, lug, lump or love; the hosts aren't sure which one.
- This minute is constant laser blasts through smoke.
- R2-D2 should have used the smoke trick sooner. Why are the stormtroopers thrown off by it so easily?
- There is a great "fizzle burn stormtrooper hit" sound effect.
- How stormtrooper armor works - or doesn't.
- Referenced: Video game Gorf - shooting constantly at one point.
- There is a beautiful matte painting of platform 327 at sunset.
- Cloud City is always beautiful - probably due to all the farts in the air.
- C-3PO head-banging slapstick in this sequence. How was this filmed? Is Kenny Baker in there?
- Chewbacca rolled his eyes when R2-D2 got fried as if he's thinking "great, another broken droid!".
- Does Leia suspect that there is a tracking device on the Falcon?
- Lando as an Imperial agent the whole time.
- R2-D2 opens the door and then just leaves without telling anyone. Luckily they all notice that the door is open.
- "Wonderful" is probably C-3PO's most flamboyant moment.
- C-3PO may have been turned on by accident when Chewie bumped him into something. Maybe Chewie was trying to turn him off again by bumping him into the door.
- Having a switched on and talking C-3PO on your back is like being in a special "circle of hell" <John>. He's like a snarky backpack.
- Lando shouts at Leia like a cave-man - "Leia; go!".
- Cool camera shots of the battle damage on the Falcon. The Falcon has been in a lot of battles over time.
- This is the fourth time in the movies that people are running on to the Falcon while being shot at:
- Mos Eisley.
- The Death Star.
- Cloud City - this scene.
- Does not happen in Return of the Jedi.
- Quality of the coffee on the Falcon. Wookiee hair is used to filter it.
- Selling spaceship armor parts is a very lucrative business in the Star Wars universe. The armor companies are probably owned by the laser companies - it's a vicious circle.
- Support the Show.
- 17:15 podcast episode length.
- Cold-open: Ad-read - (Read as a Lando announcement over the Cloud City intercom) starwarsminute.com/amazon.
- From the script for The Empire Strikes Back:
What are you talking about? We're
not interested in the hyperdrive
on the Millennium Falcon. It's
fixed! Just open the door, you
- They actually do make a C-3PO backpack based on this scene
- John: And I'm John from outside of the city and I've got a lot of nerve coming here after what I pulled.
- Pete: Farts make everything beautiful. That's the lesson learned. John: That's what I say in my household but no-one seems to agree.
- Pete: <Both as C-3PO> Over here? John: Over here; wonderful!