Empire Minute 111: The Green Cross Code Man
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
June 15th, 2014
The live Father's Day special, pt I. Vader puts away his sword and holds his hand out to Luke.
- This is the minute that Darth Vader reveals that he could be Luke's Father.
- Starts with Darth Vader telling Luke that Obi-Wan never told him what happened to his father.
- Ends with Luke considering Vader's offer to rule the galaxy as father and son.
- Where did all the wind on the gantry come from?
- Luke seems to believe that Darth Vader is his father straight away.
- The hosts opinion of this revelation.
- Modern day spoilers ruining everything.
- Referenced: Family Guy Star Wars series.
- Movie parodies.
- The delivery and emphasis of Luke's "...you killed him" line.
- Why does Luke keep moving out on the gantry when Darth Vader isn't pursuing him? To try and find his hand?
- Mention of Luuke Skywalker, the clone of Luke Skywalker made from Luke Skywalker's severed hand.
- Vader killing Luke's father has never really come up before in the movies; yet it seems like Luke is trying to get revenge.
- Referenced: Señor Wences, Thing T. Thing from "The Addams family".
- "Nature versus Nurture" - Luke becoming like Anakin or Uncle Owen.
- <Asterios> Sorry Pete - In the Prequels Luke as a baby is named Skywalker and hidden in Anakin's cousin's home. Isn't that a bit obvious? They should have named him:
- Luke Walkskyer.
- Wuke Sklywalker.
- Luke Starkiller (no, no, no that'll never work).
- How does Vader know that Luke is his son? And how does he know what Obi-Wan has told him?
- Mentioned: Maury Povich.
- Leather sound effect of Vader's fist closing.
- Vader probably finds it very therapeutic to tell Luke that he is his father.
- Vader does not make a compelling argument for Luke to join him.
- No son wants to join the family business and grow up to be just like dad, so Luke's situation strikes a chord with young male viewers.
- Vader's not used to persuading people to do things - he usually just Force chokes them.
- Is Mark Hamill's acting in this scene really good or really bad? They take a vote.
- The same people who cheered for "good acting" are the ones who cheered for "bad acting".
- Referenced: The Simpsons.
- David Prowse did not know what the line in the movie would be.
- David Prowse's other roles. He was in a British PSA about crossing the street safely, where he dressed up as a superhero called the Green Cross Code Man.
- The symbolism of the rare blinking caution light on the gantry.
- All of Luke's hopes crumble in this scene and you can see it on his face.
- The Jungian aspects of The Empire Strikes Back.
- Referenced: Cool Hand Luke (1967).
- Does Luke know that Vader is a cyborg?
- Buying extended service contracts for cyborg hands.
- Luke says "No!" like Anakin / Vader does in the Prequels.
- Referenced: "Cat's in the Cradle"; Weird Al Yankovic.
- Luke looks to the abyss as an out or option.
- Vader says that the Emperor has foreseen that Luke can destroy the Emperor. If this is the truth, then why didn't the Emperor just tell Vader to kill Luke?
- The Emperor was going to turn Luke and then kill Vader.
- Maybe Vader knew this, hence his plan to team up with Luke.
- Sith always have plans behind plans.
- Do the hosts have any sympathy for Anakin / Vader as the hero of Star Wars? No - it's Luke story.
- Disney is considering turning the Prequels into something called "Legends" <see Meta Minute below>.
- Kids loving the Prequels.
Kevin's The Empire Strikes Back memories: Saw it when he was five and fell asleep in the middle. It's a very talky movie. Had a bunch of Star Wars toys. Kevin connects to the film now by remembering the things he had as a kid.
Asterios's memories: He was into the TIE fighter PC game. Before you could save a game at checkpoints. When you got blown up you died and would have to go back to the very start.
- Why Pete and Alex can't say "Star Wars Minute" at the same time?
- Asterios plugs Admiral Ackbars Ads.
- Kevin plugs "Andrew 12-Sided Dice Clay" on YouTube.
- Support the Show.
- 38:47 podcast episode length.
- Recorded live at the Parkside Lounge, NYC.
- Star Wars Legends was created but does not include the Prequels. That is, the Prequels are still canonical.
- Between Minute 111 and Minute 112 there is a Star Wars Minute Programming Note.
- Kevin: <As Vader> What's got two thumbs and wants you to join the Dark Side? This guy!
- Asterios: ...so that nerds like us who go downtown at, like, 7:00 pm; who leave work early to talk about Star Wars or listen to Star Wars get talked about...
- Kevin: OH GOD NO! I DON'T WANT TO DO HOTEL MAINTENANCE AND AIR CONDITIONING REPAIR!
- Asterios: Let's get collectively unconscious later tonight! Yeah!
- Alex: America, ladies and gentlemen!
- Asterios: You don't stare at another man's mouth? That's homophobic.