Empire Minute 115: The Arm in the Wall
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Revision as of 21:31, 27 June 2021 by Khailovesthispodcast (clean up, replaced: the Falcon → the ''Falcon'' (4), the force → the Force)
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
June 20th, 2014
Leia and Chewie turns to see Luke, bloody and battered, enter the cockpit supported by Lando. Leia jumps up and hugs him while Chewie barks in joyous relief.
- Starts with Lando emerging from a hatch to catch Luke, and ends with Leia pointing out that she sees a Star Destroyer.
- We find out what the holes on the top of the Falcon are for.
- We see the sick bay for the first (and only?) time.
- Luke has never met Lando up to now. He's very trusting, but then anything would be better than staying there.
- Referenced Nordberg from the "Naked Gun" films.
- Lando is suddenly concerned with safety—he makes a point of attaching a carabiner.
- Special Edition change: they added another hatch that Lando has to go through.
- Lighting in this scene.
- Lando has heard all about Luke, and when he finally meets him he's just a beat up lump of a guy.
- Lando does a double-take when he sees Luke and Leia hugging.
- The timing in this minute doesn't quite work.
- Force running?
- There is a cool robot arm in the med bay.
- Don't trust the arm in the wall.
- Silver mattress.
- Luke and Leia passionless kiss.
- Did Lucas ever consider cutting out all these brother-sister kisses? This would mean admitting he didn't originally know that they were siblings.
- How many pilots do you need to fly the Falcon?
- The Empire is notoriously stingy when committing forces to pursue the Falcon.
- Leia is always pointing out when there are Star Destroyers. It's like her catchphrase.
- Star Destroyers are enormous—she really shouldn't need to point them out every time.
Ron's Empire memories. He and his family were in Europe when it came out, and there is a picture of a 3-year-old Ron in front of a poster for the movie in Italian. He saw it at a drive-in in Commack, NY when it was re-released in 1982. He remembers that he wanted to see Empire and his sister wanted to see Annie so his dad compromised by parking the car with the front facing Annie and the back facing Empire. His sister got to listen to the audio, while he watched with no audio. Referenced: "Dark Side of the Rainbow" He and his sister weren't sure that this actually happened, so he had to check a website that tracks old movie theaters and the dates do in fact line up.
- 21:38 podcast episode length.
- Cold open: Ad for J. W. Rinzler's The making of Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, available at Amazon.
- In Episode VII, we see Rey do all the piloting while Finn mans the gun turret (How prescient of you, Alex!).
- The day this episode was recorded (June 12th, 2014), Harrison Ford was injured on the set of The Force Awakens. The hydraulic door of the Falcon came down on him with the force of a small car, trapping him and breaking his left leg. The injury was quite severe (according to The Guardian, he could have died). He was 71 at the time.
- Peter Mayhew was having joint problems, and so in many scenes, Chewbacca was portrayed by Joonas Suotamo in TFA.
- Alex: Well, there are 200 people listening... so don't make any mistakes.
- Alex: If you would ever need to do a...bottom ejection. Cut that part out!
- Alex: Sit still sir, and I will remove your pancreas.
- Alex: (as Leia to Luke) I have a boyfriend now, and we shouldn't be making out as much as we used to.
- Pete: I want to buy the Star Destroyer toy, now available from Kenner™.