Empire Minute 116: Cyborgs Aplenty
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
June 23, 2014
The Wookiee shrugs and pulls back on the light-speed throttle. The sound of the ion engine changes…it is winding up. Faces are tense, expectant. But nothing happens, and the engine goes off. Chewie lets out a frustrated howl. The flak still violently rocks the ship.
- Starts with the Falcon evading TIE fighters, and ends with Artoo telling Threepio why they can't go to lightspeed.
- Lt. Suba.
- The shot is flipped (that's why rank insignia are on the wrong side).
- The Falcon being shaken by TIE fighters is like "classic Star Wars".
- Joel never used to think the Falcon was a "piece of junk" but now he sees what Luke was talking about.
- Leia falls right back into her role of "sarcastic, arguing couple".
- Lando as an inept character in this movie.
- There are tons of cyborgs in Star Wars ("Cyborgs aplenty").
- Referenced: Schindler's List
- Tip of the hat to: Ben Burtt's "Falcon breaking down" sound effects.
- Deactivating the hyperdrive is possibly the least effective way of preventing the Falcon from escaping.
- They could have put a boot or chain on it.
- Or just thrown it away!
- Lando echoes Han: "It's not my fault!"
- Subtle Special Edition change: relocated rank insignia to "fix" flipped shot.
- Referenced: the 180° rule
- Two Subas??
- Transformation from naïve young man to jaded officer is all done with lighting.
- How would the boarding take place if they had caught them? The "Lando hatch?" (see last week).
- They'd probably tractor them in like the Tantive IV in Star Wars and go in by the airlock.
- Joel courageously comes out as pro-Star Wars.
- Plug for the L.A. live show.
- Mentioned: How to pronounce "Millennium Falcon"
- 18:56 podcast episode length.
- Start of All-Star Week.
- The Wookieepedia page on cyborgs has more than 400 entries, though many of them are now "Legends".
- We're not sure how relevant this is to today's discussion but we felt like we had to post it because it's the coolest thing we've seen in a long time (Long time). Somebody made a Lego Millennium Falcon in cross-section with just an incredible amount of detail. See it here!.
- Something similar to putting a boot on the Falcon happens in Solo.
- Alex: ...that term ["android"] is very offensive to cyborgs.
- Pete: (as Vader) "Did your men break the windows on the Millennium Falcon?"
- Alex: I assumed I had just suffered brain damage. Pete: That's... that's entirely possible.
- Alex: There's "One-ba", and "Suba".
- Joel: "Put my teeth on edge?" I don't know if that's a thing that happens to teeth; I think they're always on edge... Pete: But luckily, you saved thousands of dollars in orthodonture bills...