Empire Minute 14: Breaking Through the Ghost
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
January 30th, 2014
Luke lies face down in the snow, nearly unconscious. Slowly he looks up and sees Ben Kenobi, barely visible through the blowing snow.
- First appearance of Alec Guinness in this film (we heard his voice in the last minute.
- Yoda first mentioned (chronological order), and no mention of Qui-Gon Jinn.
- Cool shot of Tauntaun emerging through Ben's ghost.
- Death of Han's Tauntaun.
- Cool sound effect
- Ben does nothing to try and help Luke, but instead relays this vital message.
- Jedi afterlife is like using a prison phone or a collect call.
- Is this the first time Ben has been able to appear to Luke? Why now?
- Has he been in training all this time?
- Or maybe Luke is finally Force-sensitive enough to perceive him.
- Mentioned: the Brackett draft.
- Originally, it was a recorded message from Ben, stored in Luke's lightsaber.
- Guinness is wearing his cloak all closed up.
- Han approaches Luke by riding straight through Kenobi's ghost. Was he drawn there by The Force?
- How much (if any) Force-sensitivity does Solo possess?
- Referenced: Schindler's List, True Grit (2010).
- Before the prequels, we assumed all Jedi came back as ghosts. That would lead to a pretty crowded Jedi afterlife.
- Mentioned: Deck Officer.
- Did Han reach the first marker? Probably not.
- The Tauntaun dying of natural causes before Han is forced to kill it.
- It doesn't look like it froze to death.
- It probably choked on its own mucus. The first of many choked characters for this film.
- Cold open: 8-DAY-GREEDO call from Tom from Chicago. He remembers falling down in the snow and calling out for Ben Kenobi.
- 19:38 podcast episode length.
- Yet again, Josh is oddly clairvoyant.
- Culmination of the running joke around Superman movies from the last few minutes.
- According to Wookieepedia, Qui-Gon was in fact a Jedi master.
- Alex: Zip it, Schindler.
- Pete: (As Obi-Wan) "You must go to the Dagobaaa–" <has a Tauntaun run through him>.
- Alex: "Ben Force-chokes the Tauntaun."
- Pete: That dastardly Kenobi; no wonder he's in ghost prison.