Empire Minute 16: Super Ghost Squadron
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
February 3rd, 2014
There is only one pilot, Zev, in the enclosed two-man craft. He concentrates on the scopes which ring his cockpit. He hears a low beep from one of his monitors.
- Brief glimpse of Han building the shelter.
- The rest of the minute is just Zev flying around.
- First appearance of Rogue Squadron.
- First Snowspeeder in action (although they are not referred to as "Snowspeeders" in the film at any point).
- Speeders were a difficult special effect to pull off.
- Mentioned: The Rogue Squadron books, Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina , Wraith Squadron.
- The actor who played Zev was the coal miner in Superman III.
- The Rebel engineers were able to adapt their speeders to the cold overnight
- Just in time to leave Hoth forever.
- What is the difference between a speeder and a spaceship?
- Snowspeeders in the Rogue Squadron video game.
- Why isn't it Wedge that found them?
- Sci-fi trope: Wraith Squadron is the elite version of Rogue Squadron which is the elite version of...etc.
- Who do they call when it's too difficult for Wraith Squadron?
- Mentioned: Pete's love of Y-wings.
- Snowspeeder toy talk.
- 18:06 podcast episode length.
- Cold open: ad for http://www.starwarsminute.com/shirts (not to be confused with http://www.starwarsminute.com/merch).
- In the last minute Josh Flanagan requested that they discuss what kind of shelter Han built in the minute it briefly appears. It would seem they forgot to do this. Sorry Josh!
- Nod to the running joke that the podcast is recorded daily.
- Zev dies in minute 31. He was played by Christopher Malcolm. Malcolm passed away not long after this episode aired. We sincerely hope this was a coincidence.
- Asterios is referring to the deleted Wampa storyline (first mentioned in minute 8).
- In the film they refer to Luke as "Rogue Leader". "Rogue One" is the title of the (at that point) still upcoming Star Wars anthology film.
- We later learn in Caravan of Courage' that horses do exist in the Star Wars galaxy.
- Pete: I wish we all died like Zev dies.
- Asterios: (As Zev) "This tow cable thing really works! I'm gonna do the tow cable thing too! Rogue 2 away–NO! blaster in my face!" Shot... shot by that AT-AT [he pronounces it "A-T A-T"] head. Sad.
- Alex: (As the Rebel chief engineer) "If we recalibrate the ionic thrusters it'll provide enough warmth for the photon distributors to recapitulate the <looong pause> Phantom...Zone."
- Asterios: (also as a Rebel engineer, upon hearing that they must evacuate) "But we just got all the Wampas in their cages! We just did that. What, you'll be deleting that scene?!"
- Asterios: Can we restart this podcast?
- Asterios: We found the leader of our... of our elite squadron next to a cut-off snowman arm, inside one of the horses we ride around on. Pete: I don't know what kind of party he was having. (Note: this would imply that he brought the Wampa arm with him to where Han found him)