Empire Minute 2: Captain Dave
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
January 14th, 2014
Evading the dreaded Imperial Starfleet, a group of freedom fighters led by Luke Skywalker has established a new secret base on the remote ice world of Hoth.
- Starts about a paragraph or so into the crawl and goes to the end of the crawl. Stuff is about to happen.
- The crawl says that the Rebel forces are led by Luke Skywalker, but that doesn't seem to be the case in the movie at all.
- The crawl is setting up the characters again - it could have just as easily said "Luke Skywalker - Darth Vader - Remember?".
- But maybe Luke is in charge and we just don't get to see it.
- The Starfleet is mentioned; it's still dreaded even without The Death Star. How many people knew that The Death Star even existed?
- Darth Vader now knows of Luke and that he blew up the Death Star. In most franchises, Vader finding this out would not have happened off camera between movies. How that scene could have been incorporated into ESB.
- Leigh Brackett and the Brackett draft first mentioned and discussed:
- Darth Vader not revealed to be Luke's father.
- The action takes place on three planets in the draft:
- An unnamed ice planet (it is called Hoth in the movie).
- A gas giant named Hoth (it is called Bespin in the movie).
- A third planet covered in grasslands named Bespin (this third planet does not appear in the movie at all).
- (Alex mentions the sci-fi rule that every planet has only one ecosystem.)
- This draft will be discussed in more detail in future podcast episodes.
- The actual amount of time that has elapsed between Star Wars and Empire.
- Is Han called Captain Solo because a) it's his rank in the Rebellion now or b) he just flies a spaceship (i.e. are all pilots called Captain; Captain Dave)? He becomes General Solo in ROTJ so Captain must be his rank at this stage. Or maybe it's his old rank from his time in the Imperial forces.
- Captain versus Commander versus General.
- The crawl sets-up the entire plot of the whole movie - i.e. Vader chasing Luke.
- Han is frozen in carbonite just as a test of the system.
- Darth Vader's obsession with Luke. An alternate title for the movie is proposed - "Vader's Obsession" or "Vader's Obsession with Luke, starring Luke".
- Mentioned: Sorry for bringing up the Prequels, Long time.
- The Star Wars trilogy are kids movies and yet they all start with huge blocks of text to read. Perhaps they're educational. Pete thinks they may have helped him learn how to read - to make sense of the plot if nothing else.
- Alex used Star Wars comics to try and teach his brother to read but he thinks that it didn't work.
- The term "young Skywalker" is a hint of things to come.
- 14:51 podcast episode length.
- Cold-open: Ad read for tshirts.com.
- Leigh Brackett and her (at times) zany first draft of this movie have become something of a running joke on the show.
- Han never made captain in the Empire. Per the new Canon, Han was a cadet in the Imperial navy before being drafted into the Imperial Armored division as a corporal.
- Alex: They probably don't know, in any case, that there's another Death Star theoretically, possibly being built somewhere. Pete: Whoa, whoa, whoa.
- Alex: As Darth Vader "It seems like only yesterday my son blew up The Death Star."
- Pete: I learnt to read relatively early. Alex: (sardonically) Oh, aren't you special!?
- Alex: As 'old-man' Luke "I can't believe it's been 20 years since I blew up The Death Star."