Empire Minute 3: Remote Probes
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
January 15th, 2014
A Star Destroyer moves through space, releasing Imperial probe robots from its underside.
- Starts with a pan down to a Star Destroyer shooting out probe droids and ends with a lonely figure riding a creature across an icy plain.
- First hint of the Imperial March [music] when probe droids plaunch out of the Star Destroyer.
- Opens on a Star Destroyer, as in Star Wars and Return of the Jedi.
- "Sorry Pete" (modified version of the apology): the Prequels DO NOT open with Star Destroyers or even the same thing in all three movies.
- Alex's "things I hope they do in Episode 7": Will episodes 7, 8 and 9 start with the same thing in all three movies? Pete proposes a double-sided Star Destroyer (note - which sounds super cool!).
- First appearance of the probe droid (probot). An in-depth discussion follows:
- Like today's drones.
- How many are there? One for each planet?
- Are they controlled by kids on game consoles all over the 'universe'? Just spend 10 minutes a day looking for rebels to avenge Grand Moff Tarkin.
- Cool and neat looking.
- First character seen is a droid, as in Star Wars. Both are seen at about the same time into the movie – 2 mins 30 seconds.
- Darth Maul had the consumer version of the probe droids in Episode 1.
- It's hard to work out the size of the probots in the beginning - they could be huge.
- Are the probe droids referred to in the crawl? Yes they are – "probes".
- New terrain (an ice planet). Desert and jungle planets so far.
- The first shot directly references the crawl – "probes on an ice planet".
- How are the probe droids activated? Or are they already activated on the Star Destroyer? They don't appear to be sentient.
- Probe droids as iPods with legs or mobile smoke detectors.
- Speaking probe droids probably would have been terrible – i.e. with Rodney Dangerfield's voice, or Sam Kinison's, or Judy Tenuta's.
- Who is this guy roaming the ice? Find out next minute.
- 11:57 podcast episode length.
- Support the Show – Facebook and Twitter.
- Alex: Two days of talking about nothing but the crawl and now we have to go back and look at it!
- Alex: <Excellent probe droid impression>
- Alex: Judy Tenuta probe droid.