Empire Minute 43: Intergalactic Idiot
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
March 12th, 2014
As Luke moves along the nose, Artoo loses his balance and disappears with a splash into the boggy lake.
- Starts with Luke looking around on Dagobah after arriving; ends with R2-D2 slowly making his way back to land in the water as he is followed by a swamp monster.
- Referenced: Princess Bride.
- Swamp monster reminiscent of the Dianoga from Star Wars.
- Star Wars characters are always getting wet and dirty. Star Wars is a "used" environment in general.
- Referenced: Star Trek (a cold, plastic, sterile environment).
- R2-D2 simply falls off the X-wing - not very coordinated given that he's an astro-mech droid made to work on the exterior of spaceships.
- Bumper stickers on the back of the X-wing.
- R2-D2's periscope and Luke's slapstick commentary. This is a pre-cursor to some of the "comedy" scenes in the prequels.
- Han telling C-3PO what to say to the Ewoks in ROTJ and the "comedy" of that sequence.
- Luke says something close to "R2-D2, where are you?". Other iconic lines from Star Wars (eg "Thank the maker...").
- How is R2-D2 moving in the water? A draft script refers to air-jets propelling him (creating bubbles behind him). How this scene - along with others - was actually created for the movie.
- Luke jumps straight into the water; he probably could have just walked to the end of the X-wing and simply stepped on to land. Luke as an intergalactic idiot.
- Are lightsabers water-proof?
- Jedi practical jokes.
- Can pilots fly or navigate X-wings without an astromech droid?
- R2-D2 falling into the water is the same as dropping your mobile phone into water.
- Luke's response to R2-D2 falling in to the water is to just shout R2's name multiple times.
- R2 mimics Luke with his beeps when Luke tells him off.
- 17:30 podcast episode length.
- Dan and Elliott share their memories of first seeing the Star Wars movies.
- Dan: As Luke "Is this water Yoda?"