Empire Minute 45: Veiny White Worm-Man
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
March 14, 2014
Admiral Piett hesitates in the entryway to Vader’s private cubicle. After a moment, he steps into the room and pauses at the surprising sight before him.
- Great acting by Kenneth Colley [Piett] in this scene.
- Super awesome helmet-sealing noise
- Alex always assumed that Luke had been to Dagobah before, and that this would be revealed in the prequels, since the place was like something from a dream.
- But maybe it's dream-like because he grew up in a desert and the swamp has so much water.
- Referenced: Stillsuits from Dune, Inspector Gadget
- Referenced: Gremlins, Bob Clampett cartoons, Stand by Me (1986)
- Other potential Movies by Minutes: Ghostbusters, Back to the Future.
- Darth Vader's egg discussed further.
- Vader and Piett's relationship.
- Callback to Star Wars Minute 39: Choking the Admiral
- 70's aesthetic of Star Wars vs 80's aesthetic of the later movies.
- Referenced: The "Humungus" from Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (1981), Cenobites from Hellraiser, Dr. Seuss, Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
- Darth Vader's armor is identical to how it looked at the end of Episode 3 (Sorry Pete), so his suit hasn't received any upgrades or anything.
- What does Vader smell like under his armor?
- Smell-O-Vision screening of Star Wars?
- Does Darth Vader Sleep? Does he put in an away message while he is on autopilot? Callback to Monday.
- Referenced: O. Henry's Gift of the Magi
- 28:15 podcast episode length.
- Elliott takes a day off from belittling Dan, after all it is casual Friday.
- First time the Executor is referred by its proper name, the Execucizor.
- The Diner with a Thousand Faces
- Vader strengthens his dark Force power with self-loathing (much like a teenager).
- Vader wears a big green afro wig under his helmet.
- Callback to the "Sith are amphibious" theory.
- Thank you, George Lucas.
- Elliott: (as Vader) "This way I don't have to take the 'work' out of my workout."
- Dan: But I like how he [R2] vomits up blood...
- Elliott: ...if anybody listening to this has ever played a role-playing game. What are the odds? Probably not.
- Pete: My note is "Vader *heart* Piett."
- Alex: (As Vader, pretending to be Padmé) "Oh Anakin, I love you! I'll never leave you ever."