Empire Minute 49: Yodabutt
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Luke plugs a guitar cable into R2-D2 to charge him.
R2's speaker system.
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
March 20th, 2014
- With the aid of a walking stick, the tiny stranger moves over to one of the cases of supplies. He begins to rummage around.
- Starts on Dagobah with Yoda ransacking Luke's stuff; ends with Yoda thrashing R2 with his cane.
- Mischievous, playful Yoda in this scene.
- Adorable Yoda butt and feet.
- Yoda is improvising to test Luke. This is one of the funniest scenes in the trilogy and prequels (excluding Jar Jar with the Pitt Droid of course).
- Is Yoda pretending in this scene or has he gone a little "swamp crazy"? He may just be punking Luke.
- Another Yoda quote - "How do you get so big eating food of this kind?".
- Luke takes the naked Twix off Yoda, smells it and throws it into the swamp. Is this another Jedi mind trick being played on Luke or is Luke just being spiteful towards Yoda?
- Luke reverts to being a whiny jerk.
- Another butt shot in the movie is of Han when he is fixing the Falcon (see minutes 38 and 39).
- How is this scene performed with the Yoda puppet?
- Yoda mocks Luke's whining directly to his face.
- Yoda really loves the pen-light lamp.
- Yoda has three or four attempts at grabbing the cane that he beats R2-D2 with. Is this intentional or was Frank Oz struggling to reach it?
- How would the lamp help Luke get off Dagobah? To find his keys in the dark X-wing cockpit; to light up a map; as a fog-lamp attached to R2.
- R2's overall reaction towards Yoda is very subtle and clever.
- R2's hand / clasping tool is seen for the first time.
- If R2 know's that this is Yoda then why is he even fighting with him? The possibilities are:
- R2 doesn't know who Yoda is because his memory was wiped between the movies.
- R2 doesn't recognise Yoda because he's met so many beings over the last 300 years.
- Yoda told R2 back on Coruscant to pretend that he doesn't recognize him if they even bump into each other.
- Pete's no-prize explanation - while Luke was in the trunk of the X-wing Yoda popped out from behind a tree and told R2 to play along and pretend not to recognize him.
- In the Leigh Brackett draft script:
- Yoda is called Minch.
- Minch runs into Luke and says "Skywalker, why do you come to walk my sky with the weapon of a Jedi knight?".
- Luke asks Minch how he knows his name and Minch says that he read it on Luke's ID badge.
- The true story then emerges over time - similar to what we see in the final movie.
- 20:56 podcast episode length.
- Cold-open: Ad-read - Dollar Shave Club via SWM link.
- Tony can come back for Friday's podcast episode.
- Pete: Listen to what the Meatflower people say.
- Alex: Then he posts it on Spacebook.
- Tony: <In regards to R2's hand / clasping tool> And he only has one so is that his hand solo?
- Alex: Join us tomorrow for another episode of... Pete: 8-DAY-GREEDO.