Jedi Minute 46: Webelo
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
March 9th, 2015
Luke looks up to see the shimmering image of BEN KENOBI.
- Starts with Luke telling R2 that he can't do it—followed by Obi-Wan's surprising appearance.
- Then Obi-Wan explains some stuff.
- Ends with Obi-Wan waxing nostalgically about Luke's father.
- First time Luke refers to Ben as 'Obi-Wan'.
- First time we hear the name "Anakin" (release order).
- Chris is a trifecta member of the podcast.
- Jedi, specifically heavyset Jedi. All heavyset characters in Star Wars. Cosplay as these characters would be a lot easier.
- General lack of racial and body size diversity in Star Wars.
- Mentioned: *NSYNC; Billy Crystal.
- What R2 thinks when Luke says he is alone. Things that people do in front of droids.
- Obi-Wan does an old man stumble through the swamp. Ghosts should just hover or move through physical items.
- Ghost Obi-Wan has gone from being just a voice in Star Wars, a cloud in The Empire Strikes Back to a ghost interacting with the environment in Return of the Jedi.
- Obi-Wan may have appeared in the swamp a long way away from where he wanted to be and has been walking for ages. Luke needs to catch him up on what's been happening.
- Hopefully Obi-Wan's force ghost won't be stuck on Dagobah.
- Why did Obi-Wan choose to appear now and not earlier? Maybe Obi-Wan and Yoda are sick of each other.
- Obi-Wan was waiting to see what Yoda told Luke before appearing.
- Can R2 see ghost Obi-Wan, or is R2 actually projecting the image for Luke?
- Mentioned: "Ghost hunters"
- Luke sounds like a whiny kid when he is talking to Obi-Wan. He should have been more mature.
- Obi-Wan should have told Luke the truth from the very beginning; Luke probably would have been on board right away.
- Luke's weird path through the Star Wars saga.
- Luke's Jedi status at this stage of the movie.
- Mentioned: Boy Scouts.
- Nerds naming their children Anakin since 1995.
Chris's best friend at Nursery School was a boy called Aragorn. Chris had no idea what this meant until he saw the animated Lord of the Rings movie. Chris reconnected with the person via Facebook a few years back. Aragorn clearly had cool 70's parents.
- The character Anakin was not at all well known in the 90s.
- Other unfortunate pop-culture names (e.g. Ultron).
- Ben seems to have no regrets about lying to Luke. Or does Ben think that his story is actually true? No, Ben is just a liar.
- It's quite common when friends fall-out for them to say "well, he's dead to me now". Maybe Ben was taking this literally when he told Luke that his father is dead. This theory doesn't really hold up given that Ben said that Vader betrayed and killed Anakin - this makes it sound like both Vader and Anakin existed at the same time.
- How soon after a Jedi dies can they become a Force ghost? It takes a while as they re-assemble themselves and move through the various stages (e.g. voice, cloud, visible).
- Did Yoda appear as a Force ghost to anyone else before appearing to Luke? Also, how did Anakin learn the Force ghost trick?
- Every dead Jedi appearing as Force ghosts at the same time in the same place. Listener Project: Somebody make this!
- Ben's description of Anakin and their relationship doesn't fully match what is shown in the Prequels.
- Return of the Jedi looks like it was shot / filmed for TV. Richard Marquand (Director) was from TV, inexpensive and compliant and Lucas was happy to leave him to it.
- The rhythm of "What I said was TRUE from a certain point of VIEW".
- Support the Show.
- 25:44 podcast episode length.
- Cold-open - Promotion for starwarsminute.com/merch: Buy the official Star Wars Minute T-shirt.
- In the Clone Wars cartoon, they had a story arc that featured a Besalisk (the same race as Dexter Jettster) Jedi named Pong Krell.
- Several members of *NSYNC were filmed as extras for Attack of the Clones, but their parts were later cut.
- Although none of the members are heavyset, one is named "Joey Fatone"
- Billy Crystal's new show is called "The Comedians" and co-stars Josh Gad.
- The 'kerchief' worn by Scouts is called a Neckerchief, but technically "kerchief" is also correct.
- The popularity of the name "Anakin" has continued to go up. In 2014, it was the 955th most popular name (220 births in the US), and in 2015 it rose to the 910th most popular name (236 births). This is not the only instance of parents naming babies after unique Star Wars names. In May of 2017, the story broke that a large number of parents named their sons "Kylo".
- Pete: The website is heavysetjedi.com.
- Chris: (As R2 projecting Ben) You should really let Artoo sleep in the bed with you.
- Chris: (As Obi-Wan) So Luke, have you ever heard of Darth Vader?
- Chris: It's true, I cling on to a lot of lies. Pete: Klingons are a different show.
- Chris: The next time I have a falling out with a friend, and it could be one of you...
- Alex: <silence> A moment of silence for the Phantom Menace that could have been.