Jedi Minute 48: Future Jedi Academy
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
March 11th, 2015
As Ben speaks, Luke settles on a stump, mesmerized. Artoo comes over to offer his comforting presence.
- Starts with Ben telling Luke about stuff that went on before Luke was born.
- Ends with Lando being assessed as a General by Han Solo.
- Lando's maneuver at the Battle of Taanab.
- More lies from Ben Kenobi.
- Ben refers to the Emperor like they're good friends.
- Ben says that Luke and Leia were hidden from the Emperor but they were probably really hidden from the Force and the Dark Side altogether.
- Also, the Emperor lied to Anakin initially when he said that Anakin's wife was dead. At the time she wasn't.
- How would Anakin / Vader reacted to knowing that he had two kids from the very beginning?
- The Skywalkers are a gullible family - starting with Shmi.
- Leia is not gullible at all, so this is more evidence that Leia is not a Skywalker.
- All the stories about Leia emerged after her family was killed; space DNA tests could therefore not be conducted. Leia just had to take Luke's word for it - and Luke was told by a ghost!
- Given all the devious lies, and living in the desert, maybe Obi-Wan Kenobi is a Sith Lord.
- Luke training Jedi - at the future Jedi academy - given Obi-Wan's and Yoda's training. Obi-Wan Kenobi will be the bad-guy and the training will all be about lies, tricks, deception and guilt trips. <Note - We'll see Luke's training methods in action in Episode VIII.>
- There is no reaction from Ben when Luke correctly guesses that Leia is his sister. Also, Ben didn't really react very strongly in A New Hope when he found out that it was Leia that was in trouble.
- When George Lucas determined that Leia was Luke's sister. Lucas certainly did not know this during A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back - this has been confirmed by Gary Kurtz.
- It must have been decided on set after they sent Lawrence Kasdan out to get root beers due everyone.
- Luke doesn't have much of a reaction to finding out that Leia is his sister but then again there are only a few females in Star Wars so it had to be one of them.
- What Luke and Ben do after this scene. Does Luke cry hysterically whenever he's alone in space? If so, R2 records it all for use later.
- All the reasons why Luke is always crying in space.
- Luke should have a million follow-up questions for Ben.
- R2-D2 is the most "mensch" of all Star Wars characters.
- The quiet talking on Dagobah is shattered by a wipe to the Rebel Fleet with a lot of noise, music (possibly Mexican mariachi music) and action.
- The spaceships that we see include:
- Blockade Runner.
- Mon Calamari Cruiser.
- Medical Frigate.
- Rebel Transport.
- The Millennium Falcon (as a matte painting).
- A "walk and talk" is followed by us seeing a range of Rebel commanders, the command centre and the Mon Calamari. There is a lot of new stuff to take in.
- Has the Rebellion grown by this stage? The evil Empire is forcing more and more systems to rebel.
- A "happy" Han Solo walks in. He seems to be very "happy".
- Why didn't Lando tell Han that he was a General sooner? Also, Lando insisted on getting a cape as a General - Lando loves the capes.
- How all of the heroes got here from Tatooine and who flew / owned the Y-Wing?
- Han, Chewie and C-3PO flew the Falcon.
- Lando flew the Y-wing.
- Luke and R2 flew the X-wing.
- OR (from Chris):
- Luke and R2 flew the X-wing (agreed).
- C-3PO, CZ-3 and R5-D4 flew the Y-wing (C-3PO was the pilot and actually owns the Y-wing <the other hosts are shocked by this revelation>).
- Han, Chewie, and Lando fly the Falcon.
- The "walk-and-talk" scene should have gone on for a lot longer and taken us all around the rebel base.
- Droids FX-7 (or 8?) and 2-1B warrant seats at the briefing table - in case of medical emergencies.
- There are also lots of new aliens in the briefing.
- Talking about Taanab:
- Lando delivers one of the best universe-building, imagination-inspiring lines in the movie."Someone must have told them about my little maneuver at the Battle of Taanab."
- Was the maneuver an actual military tactic / move or was it just Lando being slick?
- Why the Rebellion chose Lando for this role over Wedge. A former Administrator, card-player and scoundrel.
- The "maneuver at the Battle of Taanab" must be a behind-closed-doors physical move that landed him the job.
- The Admiral of the Fleet gives the briefing instead of the General of the Army.
- The organisational structure of the Rebellion.
- The Battle of Taanab in EU is actually a very boring battle.
- What really happened between Mon Mothma and Lando, according to Chris.
- Lobot is to Lando as Chewie is to Han when either Lando or Han start hooking up with a lady.
- What happens to Lobot back on Bespin. Can Lobot actually fly Cloud City around?
- How Nien Nunb became Lando's co-pilot. Nunb has no piloting skills and just happened to be walking by at the right time.
- Richard Marquand on set.
- The actor that played Nien Nunb passed away recently and there was an outpouring of emotion. Chris challenges the fans - did anyone really like Nien Nunb when the movie was first released? Really?
- The Nien Nunb action figure is equivalent to the Bespin Guard and Power Droid action figures. That is, they were rarely used.
- The spelling of t-a-a-n-a-b; double "a"s.
- The reference to Taanab is a great world-building reference for the audience. Also, it is not shown in the prequels but may appear in the Rebels at some point.
- According to EU, the Battle of Taanab happened in the same year as the Battle of Yavin. Given this, how does Han know about it and how long was Lando on Cloud City for?
- Han and Lando reconciling in the sandstorm on Tatooine.
- Lando constantly referring to the Battle of Taanab.
- More Taanab, prune faces and Nien Nunb in tomorrow's podcast episode.
- Support the Show.
- 35:08 podcast episode length.
- This is the minute Chris specifically requested; according to Chris it's the best minute in this entire movie. The best minute in the entire saga—also according to Chris—is the bounty hunter minute in The Empire Strikes Back.
- Chris likes this minute due to Lando's line regarding The Battle of Taanab.
- Generals are, in fact, quite common in air forces around the world. Most countries use ranks similar to that of their armies (the US air force began as a branch of the army). The exception to this is the Royal Air Force of the United Kingdom, and of some Commonwealth countries. These air forces have ranks more similar to that of their navies.
- Alex: (In regards to the Skywalker family) The Force and credulity run very strongly in their line.
- Pete: "Devious Lies and Desert - The Obi-Wan Kenobi Story".
- Pete: We have that curse. Chris: We have that Kurtz. Pete: We have that Kurtz, the Gary Kurtz. Alex: The Kurtz curse.
- Alex: (As Luke trying to guess who his sister is) The Tonnika Sisters; is it one of the Tonnika Sisters? (As Ben) No. (As Luke) Is it the other one?
- Chris: (As Luke to Ben whilst crying) I'm not crying from a certain point of view.
- Chris: <Just lots of "cool Lando" impersonations.>
- Pete: (As Mon Mothma writing in her notebook after the maneuver at the Battle of Taanab by Lando) Mon Calrissian. Mrs. Mon Calrissian.
- Pete: (As Lando newly on Cloud City) I don't even know where this door goes. Pete: <Following on> Oh, look at that, it goes to Stormtroopers. Alex: My bad.
- Alex: Somebody cover those prune faces.