Jedi Minute 8: Dress Up the Pigs
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
January 14th, 2015
The frightened robots are met by two giant, green GAMORREAN GUARDS, who fall in behind them.
- Starts with the door closing behind C-3PO and R2-D2 after they have entered Jabba's Palace.
- Ends with C-3PO apologizing for his instructions.
- Bib Fortuna's first appearance.
- In this scene, C-3PO is closer to his performing his main role (i.e. protocol) than at any other point in the original trilogy.
- Given this, why is he so scared? He is on the verge of short-circuiting.
- C-3PO does a lot of body motions during his speech.
- C-3PO is actually doing a good job; he must have the customs of each race saved on his hard-drive to call up at a moment's notice.
- "Fortuna" is "fortune" in Italian, and "Bib" is similar to the the Latin "bibō", which means "I drink". So together they mean "lucky drink".
- Pronunciations of "Fortuna".
- Bib Fortuna is an enjoyable character in the movie. What is his role with Jabba?
- Darth Vader is the hand to The Emperor as Bib Fortuna is the hand to Jabba the Hutt (although Bib is less powerful).
- Bib Fortuna is played by two actors - one physically and one as Bib's voice. The voice actor (Erik Bauersfeld) was also the voice of Admiral Ackbar.
- When Bib Fortuna looks over at the pig <Gamorrean> guard the guard just raises his eyebrows and shrugs - i.e. no help.
- Does Bib Fortuna split any haul that he obtains with the guards?
- How intelligent are the pig guards?
- They don't seem to speak.
- How much do they understand?
- Does Jabba just dress up the pigs and get them to walk around?
- Jordan imagines C-3PO, as modern protocol droid that is able to morph into other races, hanging around with the Gamorrean Guards and Bib Fortuna and emulating their way of life.
- Referenced: Three's Company.
- The Ben Burtt cavernous sound effects are very effective (as always).
- Languages and words used by Bib Fortuna and C-3PO.
- How C-3PO's translation process works (it seems to be based in Basic).
- Subtitles are very selectively used in Star Wars.
- Bib Fortuna was a more human-like character in early drafts of the script.
- Bib Fortuna as Smithers from The Simpsons.
- Everyone in Jabba's Palace is scheming to kill and take-over from Jabba.
- According to EU, Bib Fortuna survives and returns to the Palace to take over.
- Actually, Bib Fortuna is the Lobot to Jabba's Lando.
- And the pig guards are the ugnaughts.
Jordan's memories of Star Wars:
He's fixated on C-3PO. He really liked him in the computer game "Star Wars Battle Chess". C-3PO was a Bishop and there were animations in which C-3PO took out other characters. Return of the Jedi was the first Star Wars movie that Jordan saw in the theater. He was 3 years old. However the Star Wars movies were a constant presence in his life and he's always loved them. He got a lightsaber toy as a kid which included a card to fill out and return to become a Jedi. He didn't want to fill out and return the card because he didn't want to fight Darth Vader.
Jordan's boss told him about this podcast. The hosts had already done the first movie by that time so he crammed through it in about a month to catch-up. He wanted to go to both live podcast events but wasn't able to because he was too busy working on Star Wars comics. Oh, the irony!
- There will be more live events.
- Support the Show.
- 19:34 podcast episode length.
- Cold-open: 8-DAY-GREEDO call - As a kid, the caller thought that actor Harry Anderson from the TV show "Night Court" was playing Bib Fortuna.
- Pete: <Regarding C-3PO using protocol> Well, he hasn't been doing it for 6 years so he's rusty - not literally.