Last Jedi Minute 63: Blob Lightspeed
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
April 28th, 2021
Guest commentator Jordan White bears witness to the final gut-wrenching sacrifice of Unidentified Anodyne pilot!
- Starts with Luke pondering Rey's boastful claim that she won't fail him, and ends with Admiral Holdo telling Lt. Connix "Steady on".
- 6 hours of fuel left; it's been 12 hours since Rose and Finn left.
- This is the first time we hear the phrase "Godspeed Rebels", but we will hear it again.
- Mentioned: "The LEGO Star Wars Holiday Special", Being John Malkovich.
- The slow car chase in space.
- Yeah ok it is actually pretty dumb and there are plenty of ways, for example, the First Order could get around the problem. But we're entertained while watching it so we don't care.
- The physics of Star Wars are wonky, but is that really the case here?
- The captain/pilot of the Anodyne doesn't have a name! (note: see below)
- More of a cameo than an Easter egg.
- Mentioned: Daine Jir, Ken Burns' "Civil War".
- If everybody else can evacuate, why can't he leave too? If somebody has to stay behind, why can't it be a droid? Callback to the C-3PO maneuver.
- Mentioned: Baby Groot from Guardians of the Galaxy.
- Holograms in Star Wars.
- Jordan saw the original medical frigate model at Skywalker ranch.
- Up close, it's apparent that it is made of bashed off-the-shelf model kits.
- We want to see a movie about how Star Wars got made.
- The story is a weird motivational aspirational tragedy.
- They actually are making a dramatic TV series about the making of The Godfather (not a documentary), much like what Jordan is describing.
- They also did this with "Dr. Who".
- And you can use this to make a new Star Wars while you're at it!
- Size: almost exactly 2 Enterprises long.
- Words we only know from their appearance in comic books.
- Hux is so thrilled that he gets to blow up the medical frigate.
- It's weird to keep getting time updates, but it calls back to the first Star Wars.
- The timing of the handoff from The Force Awakens to this movie is weird; technically, this movie starts before the pervious one ends.
- This is the only movie that starts less than a year after the previous one. Referenced: Elton John's "Rocket Man" (but see below).
- The Anodyne pilot calling them "Rebels" confuses us further. I thought they were the Resistance. Referenced: Now Pete has to buy the domain.
- Plug for the SWMLS on Facebook.
- Ok we're calling him Blob Lightspeed now.
- 29:37 podcast episode length.
- Pete is specifically referencing William Shatner's performance of "Rocket Man" at the 1978 Science Fiction Film Awards.
- Pete: ...being gleefully evil. "Domhnall Gleefully" evil.
- Audio only