Phantom Menace Minute 2: Civics Lessons From a Fictional Universe
(Redirected from Phantom Menace Minute 2: Civics Lessons from a Fictional Universe)Jump to navigation Jump to search
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
November 24th, 2015
Minute 2 of The Phantom Menace: Turmoil has engulfed the Galactic Republic. The taxation of trade routes to outlying star systems is in dispute.
- The Trade Federation was originally known by the much clunkier title "The Federation of Galactic Traders."
- When viewed in episode number order, this minute has the first space ship (The Radiant VII).
- Ken Burns documentary of the fall of the Republic or West Wing style drama might be more entertaining.
- 20:26 podcast episode length.
- The closest real-world example to a single corporation with as much power as a state would be the British East India Company, which fielded a massive military force that at its height was twice the size of the British army and was responsible for much of the British conquest of India.
- Alex: "It would be like if Walmart had a senator in the congress."
- Pete: "Mostly it involves pretending Walmart is a state."