Phantom Menace Minute 90: Grebleips
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
March 25th, 2016
Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon stand outside the palace on a balcony.
- Starts with Amidala finishing her call for a vote of no confidence, and ends with Anakin beginning his Jedi test.
- More senating.
- Wookiee senators.
- Gasgano's race.
- Twi'leks, Swokes Swokes.
- 9th direct quote: "Too old".
- Chancellor Zod collapses in his seat as if he has no confidence.
- Alien races are introduced, and then you see a lot of them, and then never again.
- The E.T. senator.
- His name is Greblieps, which is just "Spielberg" backwards.
- If yesterday was Boonta Eve, then today must be Boonta.
- Amidala is dressed like a Chinese restaurant. Nobody else seems to be as dressed up.
- Veiled reference to the Star Wars Holiday Special.
- Much like his countryman Ric Olié, Palpatine is "Senator Exposition" in this scene.
- The cambots and space C-SPAN.
- Natalie Portman's formal affect, and reasons she talks like that.
- Callback to Carrie Fisher's inconsistent accent.
- Joe's fan theory about The Phantom Menace.
- The Original Trilogy is the present, TPM is the "Biblical Epic" of this universe.
- This is why viewing them in "release order" is essential.
- Mentioned: Lego Star Wars Droid Tales.
- Obi-Wan doesn't think Anakin is the Chosen One.
- Qui-Gon Jinn facts.
- The E.U. and Canon disagree about where he was born.
- Trained by Dooku who was trained by Yoda.
- In the Clone Wars cartoon it established that he traveled to the birthplace of life and the source of Midi-chlorians in the galaxy, which is where he learned to come back as a ghost.
- Referenced: Dr. Manhattan from "Watchmen".
- Old Obi-Wan voice vs. young Obi-Wan voice.
- Referenced: The Kinks song Waterloo Sunset.
- Plug for Joe's podcast Songs You're Sick of Of.
- Anakin's Jedi test; is this the best way to audition Jedi?
- Prequels don't work—they come with a lack of dramatic tension.
- "Better call Saul" is the exception that proves the rule.
- Mind reading as a Jedi power.
- The Jedi are boring good guys.
- Referenced: Space Invaders.
Joe's TPM memories. Saw it for the first time at Union Square. His ticket was for 4:30 AM. He got there at midnight and hung out in the Virgin Megastore. At exactly midnight, the PA system played the Star Wars opening theme. He waited in line for two and a half hours. Waiting in line was a big part of the "Star Wars experience". It became a community thing.
- 50:52 podcast episode length.
- This episode briefly held the title of longest episode. It was surpassed by Todd Alcott in minute 108.
- At the start of the show, the hosts have a polite-off competition.
- The "E.Ts" are called Asogians.
- See a Buster Keaton-esque silent film version of the battle on the grassy plains.
- The "Ireland planet" is called Ahch-To.
- Pete: ...analyze, scrutinize, and Anakin will become a Jedi's...
- Joe: I want to go in her [the Queen] and order some fan-tailed shrimp.
- Pete: You know what they say: "heavy is the head that wears the crazy Naboo hat."
- Alex: (referencing Family Feud) Show me "Kanjiklub"!
- Joe: "So, that's what the unedited dreams of a crazy billionaire look like."